Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling holes in body panels

tiddy1

I have just converted to cycle wings and need to fill the holes in the side panels, has anyone suggest the best method. the car is going for a full respray so I was going to areldite small patches onto the back of the panel and then fill with something like plastic padding?

Simon

A bloke in our area (can't remember his name) has an immaculate BRG 7 that was converted from flares to cycles. He had just used mushroom head bolts to fill the holes before the respray, and the resulting line of bolts looked fine. If you patch/fill the holes, chances are that one or more will show through eventually anyway?

Mike

Edited by - mike ashurst on 7 Jan 2002 13:02:45

I just ditched my mushroom head bolts and filled the holes of the rivnuts with some type of plastic padding. Sanding, primer, sanding, re primer, and two coats of paint followed by two coats of varnish, applied with an aerograph. Masking tape with holes made with a same diameter punch as the rivnut was used for perfect masking.The two larger holes were filled by a shortened rivnuts sealed in the larger holes.

The result is good in a sense that, while the rivnuts can still be seen, they are much thiner

(although of the same diameter) than the mushroom bolts and are significantly less visible.An added benefit is that there is no more allen "footprint" to catch residues of wax, etc.

Pierre

Simon,

Piere's method sounds even better, and if the rsults are anywhere near as good as the pictures I've seen of his car, then it will be excellent!

Pierre,

sorry I didn't get back to you with a picture of my wing protectors, but I see you have finished yours now anyway. I'm hoping to finish the job soon, house repairs permitting smile.gif

Mike

Thanks for the advice, the problem I have is that due to the corrosion around the holes i have had to strip the paint off over about 1 inch diameter around the hole. also the panels have been pulled out due to over tightening of the nuts. Will probably go for the plastic padding, I don't think I can justify new side panels, its not the cost of fitting them its getting the car to arch.

Simon

Mike,

no problem at all!

I tried to improve Arnie's "washer" method to diminish the constraints on the CF's protectors around the rivets, by carving in an ali panel a profile that parallels the rubber profile. Sadly, the result is not commensurate with the effort: not better than using washers.

Pierre