Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Another tyre Q - changing from CR500 to Yoko 48s

davef

Hi,

I currently have CR500s fitted on my seven, but, due to the cost I'm thinking of changing to Yoko 48's. Are there any gotcha's to this (I'm thinking of change is ride height may change suspension geometry), or is it just a case of 'fit and forget'?

Dave

• Support Team

I'm just going the other way - I assume you are talking about 13" wheels. If you have the same width rims front and back then there will be no real problems for you. It will raise your ride height 10 to 15 mm - it's a significant drop for me though as my car is very low already so I will be raising the front a bit to compensate. I have gone to wider (205) rears so the rolling radius of those is similar to the 185 A048Rs I am replacing.

Be aware that the A048R doesn't last that long. I've only done about 3000 miles, 1 track day and 1 handling day and the rears are trashed, the fronts barely legal.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

davef

I went from 500's to 48's and there is no real need for set up changes. Car is slighly higher but didn't seem much. A straight swap took about 1.5 secs off typical lap times. The tyres do benefit from a touch more camber ( 2-3 deg total) I'm not convinced wear rate is higher and infact I've gone a whole year on 3 sets

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 9

This morning drove up to Adams and Page in High Wycombe, and had a set of four medium 185/60R13 fitted (which they carry as stock). I then drove around for a couple of hours getting the feel of them - so far so good *thumbup*. For reference my last pair of rear CR500s lasted approx 2500miles and 3 track days The A048s worked out just of half the price of the CR500s - it going to be interesting to see how they last in comparison. Finally I think the slightly higher profile fills the arches better.

Dave