Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Acu or aku sump

Flying kiwi

I intend doing a few track days this year, I have a 1.8SS, uprated brakes and running on 13" splitrims with CR500`s.

This question has probably been asked before, but do i need some sort of dry sump system for track days?

I have heard of a thing called Acu sump but not sure what it is etc, or alternately i could fit an anti cavitation kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Kiwi,

I'd go with the factory oil/air separator (appollo tank). Thats what I'll be getting in the next month or so. I haven't heard anything bad about these set ups other than it takes a couple of seconds after start up before oil pressure builds in the tank (and therefore engine). This can be cured by the installation of a non return valve but isn't to life threatening.

The factory are now fitting these in addition to the dry sump on R500's for extra engine protection! Talk about belt and braces!!

Anyway less of that, are Beagle and yourself going to come along to Blakesley again on the 15th?? I think we're making it the official 7club meet for the northants area.

See you later, BC.

Yep, good point Peter. Although the Caterham line is that the dry sump only runs out of oil when the level is allowed to drop by not checking and filling well and often enough. So Apollo is only a safety or belt and braces measure (if they are correct in their assertion). Whereas with the wet sump, surge and or other aeration is a matter of course when the K is used on track (or otherwise vigorously).

Graham

I've noticed in other threads about this that people talk a lot about the effects of eliminating "oil thrashing" by the crank as a significant bonus of the dry sump system. What is the effect and does it make the extra money of a dry sump worth it? (I'm considering an Apollo at present)

James

I could be wrong here (what's new they cry), but I think one of the Apollo's main functions is to remove the airy bubbly bits from the oil that are caused by the thrashing in a wet sump. The dry sump does two things - stops the thrashing in the sump and also stops the oil surge of a wet sump where the oil rushes to where the oil pump pickup isn't (IYSWIM).