Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More power for VVC car

tiddy1

I'm looking to up the power on my VVC engine and want to know the best options,I'm aiming for 200bhp my questions amongst many are:

1. can I fit a new programmable ecu with the VVC gear and manifold in place,what bhp can i expect?

2. if i fit throttle bodies will an ECU fit the VVC harness of will I have to start from scratch.

3. How much to dump the VVC cams?

4. Can I get away without porting the VVC head.

5. Can I get away with hydraulic lifters and no bottem end changes and still get a reliable 200bhp?

Simon

tiddy1.

I'll try and answer these as best I can.

1)I don't think there is a programmable ECU at present that will work with the VVC (other than the std. MEMS). Karl Paton at Emerald is, I believe, going to do this mod but timescale is erm, extended!

2) It think you can retain the std. harness with a few mods required, but not sure on this.

3)You could just remove the VVC mechanism and buy the Piper Cams VVC blanking kit which has various bits and pieces to do this job. Comes in an anodised finish of blue or red. Get prices direct from Piper (Warren Johnson)

4)VVC head has the large ports/valves already so a good starting point.

Porting very desirable, but not an essential.

5)I think without porting 200bhp is being a bit 'wishful'.

See Dave Andrews excellent site for info. See the pics of Tor Attles piston too!

Warren showed me details of a std. 1800 'K' bottom end with Omega forged pistons, std NON PORTED VVC head, Luminition ECU, Jenvey D2H TB's, BP285H cams & hyd. followers and that made 184 BHP in an Elise

My homebuilt 1800 'K' with std. bottom end, Omega pistons, Power Train Projects D2H TB's, Emerald ecu, PORTED VVC head, BP285H + hydraulic followers, made 202BHP (@7950 rpm)and 139 ft/lb torque

Reliable. We'll see!!!

Thanks Chris,

So it really looks like an all or nothing job then, I was hopeing to do it in stages. but looks like with a total engine rebuild, new pistons, ported head, d2h tbs emerald ecu, new solid cam and a partridge in a pear tree, but as the car is currently in pieces on the garage floor i have a little time to think.

Simon

I am preparing to build a Superlight with a VVC engine in it this year,and would like some feedback with respect to my plans...

If I buy the engine now,(I believe I can get a brand new,short,service replacement engine for the princely sum of £1000)would it be better to send the bits away for porting/get bigger valves fitted/fit forged pistons etc while the engine is out of the car (i.e not bought the chassis kit yet) or run the car for a while as standard then take it all out again to do the mods (and thus be without the car for months whilst it is being fettled)??

Will the engine run with the original ECU OK with the porting etc, or would I have to do the whole lot in one go? I would like to keep the VVC gubbins so would have to wait for the Emerald ECU to be completed in this case,otherwise it'll have to be the Piper conversion and DTH TB's for the full monty.

Grim, Have we spoken before? This is exactly what both Alan Wain and myself have built. We both fitted new engines bought from others and installed them with a few tweeks which didn't cost most at the time. My engine is internally std, with a Trophy ECU, R500 exhaust (no cat). I'm waiting for a new large throttle from PTP. This will give about 165BHP when I'm finished. Alan is doing the same but has had his head cleaned up and skimmed. So he will get a little over 170BHP when the big TB arrives.

170BHP pushing along 534kg (weighed with tools, full fuel and all fluids, windscreen on, roof in boot) certainly does go!! It also has stump pulling bottom end torque (much higher than SLR below 3000rpm and nearly the same to 4500) so its fantastic at pootling in traffic or snap overtaking. Okay so bottom end torque is really significant to an SLR but it makes for nice touring and good idle

See the car at www.c7kjt.co.uk page 14.

Bob

By all means have the head ported and fit forged pistons, the stock ECU will probably cope with not too many problems, its when you start trading cams and multiple TBs that stock ECUs get fractious.

There is only so far you can push the VVC mechanism before it turns to mozarella, RPM being the main limiting factor, so its best to improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine as much as you can below 7500.

The idea with the Emerald ECU is that it will emulate the current MEMs activity WRT to the VVC control rather than allow you to tweak the VVC timings too wildly. This will then allow you to play with the fuelling and advance to suit other mods you may be contemplating such as TBs, further porting, exotic exhausts etc.

I'll be chatting to Karl about some other aspects of Emerald development on Saturday at the Autosport show, so I'll rattle his cage about the VVC development, he owes me a favour or two.

If there any imminent developments I'll post them to this thread.

Oily

Bob,Yes we have passed mail previously,and very informative it was too.(thanks)

Peter,By short I meant short of alternator,starter,ecu and throttle bodies/manifolds. sorry for any misunderstanding.As Bob has commented,he and a friend got a Brand new VVC engine is just such a guise from a Rover dealer for under £1000,though it does need the sump kit from Caterham which costs nearly as much if not more in order to stop oil starvation at every turn.(though you'd know this wouldn't you?)

Dave.