Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dodgy brake balance

julians

I have been replacing the brake fluid in my car today with castrol response super DOT 4 fluid, there dont appear to be any air locks in the system and the pedal feels fine (nice and firm), however now the rears are locking up before the fronts (the road is damp , but I've never noticed this before), they never used to do this, obviously changing the fluid has caused this ( I dont know what fluid was in it before), how can I restore correct balance, is it that I havent got absolutely all the air/old fluid out?

Car has regular single pot brakes all round and normal master cylinder.

Thanks again

Julian

Its normal to have the rears lock up before the fronts with the standard brake setup. There is too much rear brake effort as compared to the front. There are two solutions fit the uprated front brakes or fit Pagid front pads and some cheap rear pads. If you search the archives this subject has been covered many times.

Julian - I use the super dot 4, have the big front calipers and big master cylnder, when it is wet or damp m,y fronts also lock up before the back, but int he dry they seem pretty well balanced. The car is going in for a flat floor soon as I know the ride hieght and settings are way out, hopefully this will reduce the wet / damp weather lock ups.

As a thought have you tried the old tapping of the rear calipers to remove any bubbles at the back end

rob

I had the same problem with my car within the first year so I gave it back to Caterham and told them I wanted it fixed. They fitted a set of Pagid RS14 pads which are great but expensive (about 170 quid a set). The alternative is to fit a brake bias valve which are fairly cheap.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif