Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel pumps - again

julians

I went to start the car this morning, it just churned and churned but wouldnt fire up, then I realised things were strangely silent, there was no whiring of the fuel pump that I normally hear.

So, is the fuel pump on a fuse, I've had a look in the fuse box and there isnt one listed as belonging to the fuel pump.

I presume its more likely that my pump has just given up the ghost (is that how they fail, one morning they just dont work?), I've had a quick look for the pump but couldnt see it ( I have to admit I dont know what I'm actually looking for though),there was a small cylindrical thing bolted to the rear bulkhead with a rubber tube going from the fuel tank to it and another tube going out somewhere else, but this had no electrical connections so I presumed this was a filter of some sort, so where is the fuel pump, what should I replace it with, and is it easy to replace.

Car is a 96 de-dion with a 2.0 throttle body fuel injected zetec if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Julian

Edited by - julians on 6 Jan 2002 12:59:23

The pump maybe fused, or it may not, depends who fitted it.

The pump will normally be mounted, either on the rear bulkhead or in the engine bay. Follow the fuel lines, it will be on them somewhere! It will have an inlet and outlet connection, plus a power supply, the pump maybe earthed to its mounting screws.

You may also have a flow valve in the system, but that will be after the pump. A replacement pump is easy to fit. There are plenty on the market, Facet and Weber seem to be the favourites.

There have been some previous questions around the Facet Red top reliability, but I have had one fitted for a while, and all is ok.

Just been out to have another look, and lo and behold it started working, I presume this is a sign I need to replace it, whilst it was working I decided to take to opportunity to trace the whirring noise to find out where it lives, it would appear to be the in-tank variety.

Had a look in the demon tweeks catalogue and they list several types of in tank pump for various makes of car, but caterham is not listed, anyone know which car it is similar to. I guess I'll ring caterham tomorrow if nobody on here knows.

Thanks

Julian

Julian,

You will find the fuse for the fuel pump under the dash, it's in a black rubber cover, it's an in line blade fuse 10A probably. I think there's two, one for the pump and one for the DTA box. The fuel pump is in the tank as supplied by Caterham. As yours is the early DTA Ecu, the pump isn't switched by the Ecu, so it should actually run all the time as long as the ignition key is turned on.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Ah, thanks Martin, I presume the fuse is somewhere over near the existing fuse box side of things, I did have a look for a hidden/not in the fuse box fuse but didnt notice one, I'll have a proper look tonight.

Thanks for the help

Julian

I'm going to have a punt here as I have just had EXCATLY the same problem.

Trace the connector for the tank. Chances are there'll be a black butt connector on the cable that comes from the tank. If you jack the car up quite high at the rear you can see it quite easily towards the leading face of the tank.

Cut the connector out and replace it with some bullet connectors and insulating tape.

I'll bet it works.

My car's similar vintage to yours. A repair was tried on the butt connector which lasted 20miles until it packed in again. So just try cutting it out.

It's cheaper than buying a new pump up front...

Julian,

I think the fuseholders are near the steering column as they are wired from the ignition switch. Sounds like Andy has probably put his finger on the problem though. Ideally cut out the bullet connector and slide some heatshrink tubing over the wire before joining them by twisting and then soldering. Then slide heatshrink over the wires and heat up with the soldering iron. This is the only way to do the job properly and eliminate such a problem recurring.

Regards,

Martin