Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear dampers - free-length and DD tube fouling

Myles

I've just fitted a pair of Leda rear dampers to my '01 race chassis.

Pictures are here

I've got two issues/queries - possibly related.

When I first fitted them using the same mounting bush as for the previous Bilsteins, I noticed that the damper body was fouling on the DD tube (bottom set of pics on that page) - I solved this by packing the damper out with two extra washers. This has reduced the amount of bolt in the bush by about 3mm (I can measure properly later) - this isn't going to be an issue is it? There's plenty of bolt left in the bush (isn't there???) *confused*

I had also noticed that the free-length of the Ledas was noticeably shorter than the Billies (first pic on that page). I thought nothing (much) of it at the time - but now I'm wondering if they are supposed to be used with the unthreaded bush that passes straight through the DD tube (rather than the underslung one I've used). This would sidestep the fouling issue too...

Any ideas?

I've not tried to set the ride-height or anything yet - I simply adjusted the spring seats until the springs were held in place at full stretch...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 23 Jan 2006 20:46:46

Apart from not having a suitable bolt...

I wasn't sure what it was for - but there seems to be a hint in Ian B's DD tube failure thread: here

Perhaps he can help - he makes a reference to the lower fixing being for progressive springs - suggesting that the upper is for linear-rate use???

My original respondent suggested that this mounting point would reduce suspension-travel though. I can't quite work out why - but I can see that there could be an issue with how much room I'd have to play with regarding the height of the adjustable platforms...

...unless we are talking suspension-travel in terms of droop...

Edited by - Myles on 23 Jan 2006 20:29:27

According to Jez Coates, the lower mounting point is there to accommodate the longer Bilsteins. Prior to the fitment of these, the dampers fitted through the centre hole for which your Ledas might be intended.

Evidently Bilstein recommended Caterham use longer dampers in order to increase the oil content. This may just be peculiar to Bilsteins but I don't know for sure.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 23 Jan 2006 22:36:57

I made the swap from long Bilsteins to shorter through the tube Freestyle Avo's.

These look about the same length as your Leda's.

I think you will need to mount them through the tube or wind them up a long way *confused*

I guess you have read the tube threads by now...

Given a choice I would mount them using the through the tube position EVERYTIME!

Don't use those lower mounts! If you must then take the tube to a proper fabricator and get those mounts strengthened.

The proper through the tube bolts and nylocs are available from Caterham, Redline, Freestyle etc etc etc. 60bft.

For the upper fixings the trick is to angle grind off a suitable length of 3/8" allen key and stick it in a suitable 3/8" drive socket and use that to speed the bolts in / out.

I would use a little coppar lube to aid disassembly next time.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 24 Jan 2006 08:45:20

Perhaps he can help
Sorry Myles, I wouldn't know one end of a progressive spring from the other 😳, I was just quoting the info I had from someone else (I think it was Steve Foster but can't remember for sure!).

FWIW I asked Caterham (on 8th Nov 05) to provide a summary of the dates and changes made to the Dedion tube to help us identify the types, and what to look out for, more acurately - I'm chasing regularly each time the reminder pops up; latest is "waiting for a response from the Tech Director" *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 23 Jan 2006 23:00:11

Thanks all - I'll order a set of the through-bolts tomorrow.

Steve - you can see a large tub of copperslip in some of my photos on that page...

...I had to mullah one of the underslung rear ARB bolts this evening as well - copperslip will be my constant companion from now on... *smile* (Guy will be happy *wink*)

to check the thread remaining on the bolts into the bush simply measure it *confused* *smile* minimum good practice is 1.5 x bolt diameter but this is a heavily loaded area so I would suggest more for safety.

As the dampers are shorter it makes sense and probably measures up correctly that they should be through the center of the tube - do you know how the previous owner had them mounted 🤔

The std caterham through bolts are only about 4.5" long for the dedion tube . You need to measure the length you need . Probably about 5.5 >6" x 1/2" unf .

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Myles, it looks as though you've got your answer already but to confirm what others have said I've run Leadas for the last three years using the bush through the centre of the tube with no problems. I did find that with 10.5" 170lbs springs I needed a helper spring to run the ride height I wanted. I actually finished up with a shorter spring and a longer tender in the end so I still have the short tenders if you get stuck.

Adrian

Adrian, thanks - I'll see how it works out.

I've ordered a set of bolts today for the center-mount from CC. I don't know how they were mounted by the previous owner, but as there appears to be no wear or scuffing on the body, I can only assume that either the middle-mount was used, or packing-washers were employed.

Thanks for the pics Steve.

Quick update - Finally got them fitted. The bolts I was sent were too long - apparently the through-tube boss has been shortened over the years. Anyway, a few minutes with a hacksaw and file, and they're in.

I'll post some pics and update the site later.

Myles

Looks as though you've sorted it. There can't be many variations of Leda rear dampers for a Caterham.

My de-dion has the through the tube mounts only & I didn't have too much of a problem fitting them a few years ago. The only concern was maybe the tube was touching the chassis on full droop. I showed it to Gary May who said no problem. Has passed 2 MOT's since.

Mick

Edited by - Mick Day on 27 Jan 2006 18:27:09