Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Big Power Duratec passes SVA Easy!

Rob Walker

I am pleased to report that I have today sucessfully SVA`d a 2.3 Duratec producing 280bhp/210 lbs Ft torque at the Taunton VOSA test center. We had no problems with emissions or noise despite the engine running 280 degree cams with 11.30mm lift and four port throttle bodies with an 8 injector setup. This should be wellcome news to anyone building/contemplating a powerfull duratec engine for their seven.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Jan 2006 14:10:18

Yes the 8 injector set up helps with emissions as only the tiny stock injectors are used on light throttle this helps with fine control. atomization and fuel drop out. The emission test at SVA is for HC,CO and lambda at 2500 rpm sampled over a 30 second period and natural idle test 450/1500 rpm HC and CO only. The amazing thing about the Duratec engine is that you can trim the fuelling right down until its running on vertually fresh air and yet the engine will tick over smoothly, obviously the CO and lambda values would be way off with the engine running so weak but it indicates that the engine can be trimmed on fuel to easly meet the emission test despite running such hot cams. I tried similar tests on my K`s and the engine was impossible to keep stable. Sorry I have no scanner to post the Power plots.

Paul,

The tester " Ian "was extremely thorough we had lots of problems with internal and external projections espectially the exhaust system and tillet style seats. The overall test was a much more detailed test than that done on my last car two years ago. Scarey 😳 *thumbdown*

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Jan 2006 22:39:23

Any chance you could read off torque from 3000 upwards at 500rpm intervals? I'm curious on how the shape changes vs. my 270 degree cams.

My old Radical went for SVA with most stick out bits missing, like rear wing, splitters etc., and huge amounts of rubber stick on bits to cover up fastenings. Looks very naked and silly like that! Then they had to redrill the side indicators to move them 3 inches to make the tester happy. Took them several tries to get it through, though the 250bhp motorbike engine was no problem?!

Cheers!

Danny

Rob, I thought that the MOT emissions test also checked Lambda at the measuring points to ensure you weren't running lean.

Great result though.

I'd like to see your actual results for the emissions if you have them

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

Hmm interesting here's the numbers from my 2.3 with 270cams for torque starting at 3000rpm, I'm reading these of the graph so they may not be exaclty right but they are pretty close.

3000 - 152

3500 - 154

4000 - 161

4500 - 186

5000 - 189

5500 - 200

6000 - 199

6500 - 196

7000 - 190

7500 - 178

Peak torque on mine was 201lb/ft at 5400rpm

TBH it looks very similar it just seems to go a little higher a little later in the rev range although the drop between 4 and 4.5K is a bit more noticeable on the 280cams

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 24 Jan 2006 14:33:26

Rob - missing 7000 & 7500?

Mine are Peak 193lbft/5737, 251bhp/7765, so very similar shape - a dip at 4000 rising strongly to 4500. Difference of less than 10lbft which I guess is well under the rolling road error. Looks like 280 cams are the way to go :)

3000 - 160

3500 - 160

4000 - 155

4500 - 182

5000 - 186

5500 - 191

6000 - 192

6500 - 190

7000 - 182

7500 - 173

I must confess to being smitten with the brute torque that these engines chuck out especially around 4000rpm. I am also becoming confident that these engines will hold together and be durable. Now onto the K being ancient History well my own car still has a home brewed all steel K with a scholar block and a tasty self ported VVC head running 1227 cams and big valves. Its a nice engine very light, responsive and the the car handles well but you do have to buzz it more than the big Duratec to make it go so its harder to drive and not as nice to drive on the road. No I can`t consider it as ancient history not yet, doesn`t stop me wanting a duratec though. I am currently building another 2.3 duratec complete car for a club member who will remain anonamous and this engine will have the potential to produce more power so could 300 bhp be on the cards? 😬 *thumbup*

The first 300+bhp Duratec must be appearing soon I'm sure 😬

As for durability I'd say the 4000+ miles my car covered in "fast road" conditions ranging from 2 - 38 degrees C in the USA last year has pretty much confirmed they are tough engines, admitedly that isn't racing/hard track use but we weren't hanging around. Dannylt uses his on track quite a bit I believe and hasn't had any problems either.

The K is still a lovely engine in terms of the lightness and the power it can make but I'm completly converted now.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Several thousand fantastic track miles with only a few minor hiccups, but the engine itself was fine. Quite a few people have driven it on track and loved the engine. Unfortunately the clutch broke in the morning of my last day at Spa... I was upset until I realised it was perfectly fine to drive clutchless (dog box) - just needed a strong push on the uphill pitlane to get into first *smile*. I now have a heavier duty clutch.