Click here if you are having website access problems ×

She won't start & I want to go for a blat!!

Mark Adderley

Help!

All set to go for a blat, jumped into car & hit the big red button............nothing ☹️

I can hear the fuel pump working, the Mems seems ok, lights and horn are working, so I'm assuming the battery is fine.

I've cleaned up the battery terminals, the -'ve earth to the engine and the earth to the chassis.

I'm now stumped - any thoughts what I should try next *confused*

Cheers

Mark

1400 SS - 41k and counting......

Now Mark with my technical knowledge this could be worrying *eek*

Is the starter motor engaging?

If you have power (lights working etc) but nothing else then it sounds like the power is not getting to the starter motor

Try the connections on the starter motor

Short wire direct to the starter

Gentle tap etc

How easy would it be to push start *confused*

Ring the AA/RAC/Green Flag

A10ROX:OK, its an R500 without the magnesium bits sump etc and only 205bhp!

Cheers - I'll give that a go.

I can't hear anything from the starter motor - not even a 'click' - which I'd imagine means there is no power getting to it, rather than it being jammed?

Oh well, back into the garage we go..................

Thanks for the advice - I tend to get a dull ache between my eyes where anything vaguely electrical is concerned!

Cheers

Mark

Wires to starter-motor look sound (they're not the easiest of things to get to, are they?!!).

Tapped lightly as suggested, also tried rocking the car in gear but still as dead as the proverbial dodo.

This occasionally used to happen when the car was hot, but would always start again. Is it possible the starter mtr is kaputt?

:-(

Mark

• Support Team

Most likely the battery. It's got enough juice to power the fuel pump but not enough to turn the starter motor. If the car can be jump started then that's your answer. Charge the battery and if that doesn't cure it, you'll need a new one.

If you can't jump start the car then the starter motor is the more likely culprit - or at least the wiring to it. Loads of post on this in the past.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Careful push starting. If you have someone to push, fine. If you think you can push then jump in, you will likely run over your foot.

In my experience (K series), put it in 1st, let the clutch up quickly, then dip it again at once.

Thanks for all the posts - I'll revisit the bl**dy thing at the weekend when I can get the axle stands set up underneath it.

There's no 'click' just the sounds of the big red button being pressed! Battery is connected to an optimiser when the car isn't being used (last run late December) so I guess it's looking like a connection fault.

Thanks a lot - will keep you posted!

cheers

Mark