Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Change

old captain slow

I'm just in the throws of changing a crook 1400 for an almost new 1600K and could do with a poll of views on the best option. Both engines are SS.

The existing engine is 1996 vintage with the Rover SS MEMS and ignition. The replacement engine is almost new but started out life as an EU3. I've got the EU3 ECU but it's short of the wasted spark ignition system.

The options seem to be shell out on a wasted spark system and new wiring loom, or buy a 1600K SS MEMS unit (or an Emerald for that matter) and swap the distributor etc from the old engine to the new one.

Additionally the old engine has no lambda probe. Would the new set-up, retaining the existing ignition system, need a lambda probe adding to the exhaust in order to work or is there an option to disable this?

Anyone been down either of these routes?

C7 CDW

From what you describe, the third option you should price up is replacing the engine management system (unless the EU3 computer is programmable - the MEMs isn't IIRC) and getting throttle bodies. You will then have to have it mapped, but you will get a much better engine this way.

Don't know about the lamda, but on mine (R500), although it had a lamda from new, when I got it mapped, I discovered it had never been enabled! Still passed the emissions test though

• Support Team

Personally I'd go for an Emerald ECU and stick with a distributor as you won't need to hack the loom around (but then I hate car electrics!). My engine has a VVC head which would have been wasted spark but I had it converted to use a distributor as that's what my old engine ran.

Re the lambda probe, I guess if you stick with the EU3 MEMS then you'll probably need to install a lambda probe to get optimal running although there probably isn't that much improvement other than emissions. If you switch to Emerald, lambda is not required for normal running but you will need a boss for the wideband probe used in mapping. You could probably get an Emerald map for a standard 1600 SS that wouldn't need a rolling road session to map so the boss could wait.

Yellow SL *cool* #32