Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MORE BHP WANTED

dmt1

i am currently running a slr which i know is a fast machine but i have some spare cash to spend on engine upgrade,my budget is 1200-1500 max,would this be anough to join the 200 club or how much gain would i expect! i dont have much mechanical knowledge so what type of work would be needed and who would i need to contact to carry out this work,your advice would be much appreciated.

daz.

Daz

Speak to Mr King (he'll be along any minute). With a bit of head flowing, re timing and a change of ecu he'll soon have you in the 200BHP club(about 215BHP to be precise). Conversion gives better idle and driveability too.

You might want to think about a change in inlet system too, the earlier SLR's have a convoluted inlet manifold which allowed a pair of Rover KV6 twin throttles to be bolted to the K4 head. Newer SLR's have a direct to head all in one system which is worth another 5 BHP. This is available from PTP for about £600 and is a simple DIY swap. Caterham roller barrels may improve on these but they cost about £1000 not including air filter (they look great though!) and would require a bit more fiddling.

Speak to RK first.

Cheers

BC

Edited by - bob corb on 5 Jan 2002 20:04:37

There is plenty you can do to up the BHP on the VHPD engine, the stock cams are horribly timed and the head can use work, as mentioned if you have the early Rover KV6 bodies on tortuous manifold then these can usefully be replaced by DTH bodies from Jenvey or PTP, or if you are feeling flush, the barrel bodies from Caterham.

Replacement management is a must, the MEMs is not ideally suited to getting the best from the VHPD and it is not user programmable, there have been a dozen or so VHPD conversions done that I've been involved with using the Emerald ECU and there are several maps available to get you started, just remapping and dialling the cams in properly can get you near/over 200BHP, for that you will need verniers , and ECU and a mapping session.

Light porting on the head reteining the standard valves can gain quite a bit more (up to 210-215) since the VHPD casting is not particularly well finished and suffers from poor production engineering. In addition replacing the cams with Piper 1227s together with decent TBs and a proper mapping session can get you up over the 220BHP barrier.

If you are really keen and have deep pockets then extensive porting with bigger valves can get you into 250BHP territory but be prepared to spend some money on esoteria for the bottom end.

There is a wealth of information here, it is a well trodden path.

Rough budget for 210-215BHP

Verniers £120

ECU £600

Porting £300 (std valves)

Mapping £120

Sundries £100

Or for bigger BHP

Verniers £120

ECU £600

Mapping £120

DTH TBs £700 (if reqd)

Porting £400 (big valve)

Valves £110

Cams £240 (if required)

Cam shimming £75

Springs £90 (if reqd)

Steel caps £50 (if reqd)

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 5 Jan 2002 21:47:14

BOB,

thanks for your advice i do have a newer model with direct to head system,i will give mr. king a ring.

OILY,

again thanks for help and advice can you recommend someone to carry out this work.

cheers.daz

If its the standard immobiliser that works with the MEMS then the Emerald ECU is completely compatible, if its an aftermarket type that doest integrate with the ECU then its function shouldnt change, the Emerald interfeces directly to the engine loom using the same pin-outs as the Rover MEMS.

Oily