Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SLR cage fitting

Gambo

Will a SLR Roll cage, I.e the one with the curved top braces fit a 1995 chasis. if it's not a straight fit what needs to be done 🤔

Edited to make sense 😳

RED 2.0 HPC now on throttle bodies *thumbup*

Edited by - gambo on 20 Jan 2006 17:22:07

Gambo,

I think it does to the exent that I will be fitting one to my 1993 chassis v.soon.

The only caveat is such that there are two bushes missing from the sides (elbow position) whihc means it is two fixings down. Arch can retrofit, but its a bigish job.

Bouncy Castles at track days anyone?

Gambo.

The only cage that will fit your 1995 chassis without major work is the old Safety devises SLR/r400 race cage or the roadsport cage. Your chassis will have the two front threaded bushes you will have to remove the inner cockpit panels and weld in place the two rear threaded bushes the front two fixings are bolted to a angle bracket that sits inside the scuttle fixed by two 3/8 " bolts. The latest Caged offering will need three threaded bushes per side installing, two in the top chassis rail which is a side skin off job and a trip to arch.

Rob

Arnie,

Two threaded bushes in/through the square top chassis rail below the scuttle behind the sideskin forward of the cockpit each side then two more bushes welded below the round chassis rail that spans the cockpit making four per side. You should have the two forward cockpit bushes as used for the petty strut, the other three each side I doubt you will have. Only the forward bushes are difficult to install as the side skin needs to be removed/peeled back to gain access. Hence why the Safety Devises cage is the best to fit to a pre 2000 chassis.

Hope this helps

Rob

Rob,

I can see the two bushes welded below the round chassis rail that spans the cockpit, and I understand the rearmost of these will be missing on both sides until I get some chassis mods completed.

On the forwardmost section of the SLR 2000> cage I cannot see any fixings below the square section tube whihc forms the lower side of the scuttle/sideskin joint. To me these look to be fixed jsut through the aluminium, or to a bracket inside teh scuttle which picks up on the two scuttle studs on each side.

Do you have a decent photo of this section both from inside and outside the car by chance???

Thx

The later front fixings for the Caged cage are threaded bushes welded into the square top chassis rail under the scuttle not under the rail. The SD cage does indeed bolt through the ali scuttle and is fixed inside the scuttle with a rather flimsy folded steel angle section which is then bolted to the cage and then pulled down onto the two 3/8" fixings that hold the scuttle down. The idea being that the inward protruding threads, 1/2" thick washer and nylock nut sit onto the top chassis rail and would be force against the top chassis rail if the car rolled. Obviously not as strong a fixing as the latest Caged offering. Sorry I do not have any Photos. I have a pristine SD cage in my garage ready to go onto my car, my 2004 chassis is to the latest Arch spec and has the correct bushes to fit the latest Caged cage , I may consider a swop.

Rob

Arnie,

I cannot see any big problem fitting the two rear cockpit threaded bushes. Remove the rear inner side panels drop the cage on and fit the two front bolts, then drill through the Ali from the rear cage bushes, wind on the threaded bush with the bolt through the cage and tack the bush to the chassis then remove the cage and finish the weld. Obviously you wont be able to weld around the outer face of the bush but as its only welded to ERW tube it should be more than strong enough. Mig weld should keep the heat localised and not spoil your lovely paint. CF sill protectors will cover any damage in any case.

Rob

Rob,

The old SD cage is actually the one I think I have. Its not actually in my posession at the moment, but should be soon.

I think I am right in thinking the old SD cage had the semi-circular hoops in the top? What I have coming has these, and was from a 2001 R500.

Can you get these SD cages any more. is that what you have picked up Dave? If so Where ffrom. Approx price.Rev limetter has seen a trum with a cage on and has suggested it would be a good idea for me to fit one *wink*

Do not like road sport cage as thediagonal bar is ver close to my helmet/head.

RED 2.0 HPC now on throttle bodies *thumbup*

Edited by - Gambo on 21 Jan 2006 13:01:20

Yes I have a SD cage - I bought it second hand ( but not used *wink*) from a club member .

The new price from Caterham for a caged cage is now £868 inc vat . Second hand would be about 1/2 > 2/3 that I expect .

Safety devices are back in business and I was organising a bulk buy several months back but I recieved some news coupled with a poor response to numbers of orders from members that made me decide not to proceed with a bulk purchase.

Arnie,

The semi circular hoops are common to both the SD and Caged. The only sure whay to tell which type you have is if the four fixings each side run roughly inline then you have the Caged if the two front fixings are about 2" higher and the bottom tube has a set in it then you have the SD.