Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nosecones - can someone confirm for definite

Archie Procter

I've got a cracked yellow one left over from my 1991 2.0VX (de-dion) and it may be cheaper to have that repaired and sprayed to use on my black LA Grads car rather than buy a new one. Particularly in light of the shortage of 2nd-hand black nosecones *smile* - see wanted section. I'm loathe to buy a new one as it's for racing and sod's law suggests that if I buy a brand new one from Caterham for £130 + post someone will only crunch it at the first corner - which is exactly what happened to my brand new black rear wing at Pembrey ☹️

I don't have either the nose or the car to hand to check but I think it should fit OK as I think Caterham only supply one nose regardless of whether the car is DD or LA - just wanted to be sure before it's too late 😳.

Mind you if I'm left with a repaired black nosecone I can't use at least I can sell it to Myles or one of the other many people who wants one. In fact if I auction it on ebay I'll probably make a few quid 😬

• Leadership Team

1. I understand the first change in "recent" years was in the late 80s/early 90s when the shape changed a little and the grill mesh was set further back.

2. The lower cutouts for the front lower wishbone mounting points then changed sometime in the late 90s - the chassis changed in 1996 but the GRP nose was slower (I believe) to catch up. CF noses were even slower and I think were not modified until around 2000. You can see the older type noses fitted to post 96 chassis, shown by a large space above the WB mounting point. The older type will fit pre'96 and post'96 chassis, but not as tidily on post'96 as the later ones.

3. The later nose designed for the post'96 chassis will not fit a pre'96 chassis.

4. I'm now led to believe there's a newer version which has eliminated the lower Dzus fasteners - same setup as for the SV.

Confused *confused* I stand to be corrected if anyone can add any more detail?

Stu.

Redline Componets in Caterham do, I believe , now have an agreement to be the sole source of all pre 1990 Seven parts.

They are in Caterham and can be contacted on 01883 346515 M-F Closed weekends

Bouncy Castles at track days anyone?

I think they changed in 87, the easy way to tell is that the early ones have holes in the sides for the grill and the later ones have holes top and bottom. My information came from the Cateram parts department. Sorry no name.

Cheers J&J

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Darren's your man in Caterham parts and Redline will supply.

However, I'm sure that they interchangable with a bit of bending the lower lugs and fitting new dtuz fastneres. I've fitted the DITP nose cone and it now sits on the other side of the lower lugs. I haven't bothered with clips, the lugs hold it in place.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited