Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2006 regs and other docs posted

robmar

I have seen a few engines setup in this manner and the oil has settled in the bottom of the airbox and dissolved the foam strip between the airbox and backplate and then either the airbox has become loosed on its mounts or the oil has leaked from the box *thumbdown*

I would suggest you run the oil breathers from the cam cover to a 1 litre catch tank. Then you not only avoid the above problem but you wont be contaminating your incoming cylinder air either *thumbup*

routing the breathers to the inlet manifold is fine for production cars where the oil does get fed straight back to the cylinders but this doesnt alwasy happen when you have throttle bodies insdie an air box .

Just a quick update

1. as the regs are not yet ratifed/approved/validated by the MSA they are very much draft, and a disclaimer has been added to the top of the draft 2006 regulations

2. there is also a pdf version of the 2006 draft regulations

3. also there has been some additional explanation text added around throttle return springs in the preparation web page

Throttle return springs (NEEDED) - 2006 Blue book page 67 E.12.4.2. A separate external throttle return spring for each part of the throttle is required. For cars with twin webers this means two external springs, one fitted to each throttle spindle. For cars fitted with single throttle bodies and a plenum, eg standard K series cars, this means a single external spring but as this is normally already fitted as standard then nothing additional is required. For cars fitted with individual or pairs of throttle bodies or roller barrel throttles, eg SLR or R500’s, this means a separate external spring for each throttle body or pair of throttle bodies. Again these are normally fitted as standard so nothing additional is required.

rob

So just to clarify, my 05 academy car counts as Supergrads spec and can therefore run in class 1? The regs seem to suggest only single cams are class 1 and a k-series is class 2.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Mark - YHM

Tom - with regard your query, yes as long as you comply

with the current technical specification for the ‘2006 Caterham Graduates Championship’ – ‘Caterham Graduate Class’ and ‘Caterham Super-Graduates Class’ specification cars only. Cars must fully meet the specification relevant for engine type and year of construction. No further modifications are permitted.

I am not that sure of the details of these regs and how they match a 05 acadamey car, but would suspect that you would be in the 'graduate' class if you made no more mods, an dif that was the case then class 1 is the pace for you

with regard

Lotus or Caterham Sevens powered by single cam engines up to 1600c.c.

these typically being xflow or vx cars, but can run outside of the the grad and super grad regs, i.e. no screen, any list 1 a tyre

so if you took off say your windscreen from your acadamey car (whichh is I am guessing a k) you would go into class 2 or 3 dependent on tyres

hope that makes sense *confused*

But the regs say cars complying with the technical spec for supergrads, which presumably includes the A048s *confused* And decat pipe and rear ARB as well.

FWIW my car is currently fully academy spec, so still has screen, sealed engine, cat, and even the CR322s which I think are list 1a. I was planning a change of tyre though, and my sprint entry would depend on how I get on at the Curborough day on 2/3/06. Don't think I'll be quite as quick as Dave J, but I'd like to get somewhere close to Gordon or Nifty...

Cheers

Tom

Classes 1, 2 and 4 all require List 1A tyres. These are specified as being in the list from the 'Blue Book' 2005 OR 2006.

If you run AO48's, any other E-marked road legal tyre, or a list 1B tyre you will be in class 3, 5

If you Choose to run Slicks, you will be in class 6.

Think I'll stick to the list 1a tyres then, as I'm not sure my driving will be up to competing in class 3. Not without several lessons and probably a trip to DVA to take the seals off the 120bhp engine too.

Cheers

Tom

Tom

It will be good to see you competing and I would suggest to start with you stick to Class 1 and wait until after a few events or even a season before deciding what to do with your car *thumbup*

The idea of including Supergrads and current spec Academy cars in Class 1 is to increase the number of entries as the number of Grad spec cars competing is diminishing ☹️

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*