Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR Cosworth Duratec 2.3 - 260bhp or 255bhp or less?

paul jacobs

I have variously seen different power figures bandied around for the CSR Duratec "260" engine, and also different performance figures.

Neither Caterham nor Cosworth will release a Dyno sheet, which is not very reassuring. Does anyone know what the actual power figure is? it would also be nice to see the shape of the power and torque curve too, given that the torque is quite high up the rev. range, and in use the engine doesn't actually feel torquey to drive *confused* I can't help wondering if the engine has been mapped to reduce bottom end and mid range torque to save the gearbox, [which has had it's moments in the past 😳]

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance! [Except building up my new CSR kit]

I'm fairly sure it's actually 255/256bhp not the "260" number that has appeared in a few places (including on Caterham's website I believe).

Not sure about torque but you comments to tie up with comments from someone I know who has driven a CSR260, it's not lacking in torque but maybe doesn't have quite as much low down as you would expect. The engine does seem to need to be reved to really go.

It would be interesting to see a dyno sheet though, just to get a comparison with a 3rd party built "260" 2.3l Duratec 😳 alternatively if anyone would like to let me drive their CSR260 I'd be happy to compare it with my Duratec 😬

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Picked up a Burton Power catalogue at Autosport and was interested to see the range of off-the-peg Cosworth Duratecs advertised therein. The "270bhp" 2.3 weighed in at around 9.5K, and the main difference I could find between that and the top banana "300bhp" version (for nearly 13K) was the steel crank. I guess that means 300 is achieved with more revs?

Rob Walker was salivating over the dry sump with built in chain driven pump. Very compact solution.

I think the steel crank allows 8500rpm compared with 7500 for the standard engine, the built-in chain driven dry sump does look nice although someone somewhere mentioned it might not be quite up to the job on a high power engine (although this rumour was refuted by someone else stating that as long as you get the right internal pump it's fine!)

£9.5K sounds about right for a 270bhp engine but to get it in a 7 you probably need to add another 3K in parts at least 😳 My complete exhaust system was £895+vat, then you need bellhousing, ECU, loom, engine mounts, dry sump tank, misc bolts/bits/pipework etc etc

If you're converting from a carbed engine like I did then the costs are even higher as you need to get the injection bits etc

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 19 Jan 2006 16:39:55

Rob, it's not that I'm after more, [yet], I haven't even got the engine into my kit so far, but I'm wondering what the true figures are. Caterham and Cosworth both refuse to release any hard and fast data, dyno sheets etc, and we all know what figures can be like, sometimes an approximation of the true readings! 😳

Even their performance figures don't look too accurate compared with the Autocar figures, although i'm prepared to accept that conditions on the day may have played a part there. ie: CC 0-60 3.1, Autocar 0-60 4.1 *confused* A big difference!

BTW did you have any luck with your Rover?

Paul

If I organise any more Dyno / Curry events you should bring your car up to Emerald when it is together. Quite a few Duratecs have been tested there and you would be able to compare dyno plots.

Whatever it makes I am sure it will be an awesome car to drive and have fun in. *thumbup*

How far are you from completion? Not ready for the 5th of February by any chance?

AMMO

Excellent idea Ammo, I'm looking at completion around April time, all being well, so if you're organising another one in early summer it might be worth the long, long, long drag over from Somerset *eek* At least Daves rollers are a known quantity and good for comparison, unlike many other sets which always seem to be optimistic - funny that *biggrin*