Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Waxoil

dogvet

Some previous threads, look under Waxoyl. In the absence of these, I would suggest using 'clear' Waxoyl as follows:

1. Thin and spray at all joints between the frame and the 'ally

2. Spray under the tunnel and the area above the axle/de dion

3. Brush onto all rear suspension and axle (not on discs)

4. You can also brush onto the front suspension-looks much nicer than rust!!!

5. A light coating in the engine bay on exposed metal also does no harm, but you may wish to polish

The stuff has been excellent on the three Minis that we have had, but would prefer it if Caterham/Arch galvanised the frame prior to epoxy coating and cladding

The main areas I've had corrosion problems after 4 years in all weather -

1) Rear radius arms

2) lower chassis tubes from behind the a frame mounts

3) front wing stays - the bit that is bolted to the hub and the flat bit that is attached to the top of the upright.

4) the point where the tubes all meet the the front of the chassis, under the car - caused by jacking the car up here.

The rest looks ok.

Alex

Hugo,

If you are having the car painted after delivery it would be worth spending sometime masking all the tubes & black bits yourself before taking it to the spray shop. Then you can have ALL the inner panels painted, under floor etc. I did this on my last 7,( not in the footwells ) , all that is needed then is a squirt of WD40 between where the ally is folded round & rivited to the tubing. Just my pennyworth!

Cheers, Mark.