Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steering rack question

stephen grant

I'm trying to replace the gaitor. I've taken the nut off the underneath of the trackrod end, with a view to removing the trackrod end, the long extension nut and the locking nut so I can switch the gaitors (whilst counting turns and having measured distances from nuts to end of steering rack).

How to I get the track rod end out of the steering arm? I guess it's not a question of brute force lifting it up and out, as I'm guessing that the steering rack doesn't have that much flexability.

Help!

ta

stephen

Ok, thanks. Is it possible instead (I've never used a ball splitter) to undo the nut that holds the upright to the lower wingstay, and the nut joining the two halves of the upright together, and then rotate the upright down and out of the way of the trackrod end?

Or am I making a meal of this, and should just get a ball splitter and work out how to use it?

stephen

Ok, I'm seriously misunderstanding something here, and I apologise for being so thick.

I'm going to go back in the garage and stare at it some more. At the moment I simply don't understand how I get anything off the steering rack (track rod end, locking nut, gaitor), or even unscrew anything in the direction of the end of the rack, without getting the trackrod end out of the upright or splitting the ball joint.

I'll go away and think about it for a bit more....

stephen

Edited by - stephen grant on 19 Jan 2006 11:48:07

I think that method is really just making the whole thing very complicated, and will probably take longer than the necessary trip to Halfords / factors for the ball joint splitter.

I'd go with Manxseven - sissor type ball joint splitter will have it off in a moment. I once did mine with a bloody great hammer but ended up knackering the end of the thread - luckily rescued with tap / die set 😳

If you want to remove the track rod end from the steering arm then it is best to use a sissor splitter, although I'm told you can sometimes 'shock' it apart by wacking the side of the steering arm at the joint and the taper pops out. Never tried it myself though.

But you really don't need to do this as all you have to do is slacken the track rod locknut and 'unwind it' from the track rod end, or the extension piece. The rod has two flats on it so you can get an open ended spanner on quite easily. You're going to have to do this anyway to get the new gator on and its easier with it all in situ than off the car IMHO.

Paul

All,

Thanks for all the comments. My stupidity on this occasion can be explained by the fact that I hadn't realised that the track rod can rotate around the steering arm, hence I thought I had to attack the problem from the track rod end. In the end I just unscrewed the rod out of the rod end and swapped gaitors, 5 minute job. The locking nut is back where it was, according to my ruler, and I will book the car in to get the tracking checked.

thanks again for all the help,

stephen