Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmet scrutineering - scratched visor.

Myles

Just thinking ahead...

My Arai GP5K visor has a nasty scratch in the offside periphery - it doesn't distract me on track days as it's not usually in my direct vision.

I'll try and take/post a quick pic later - but is this going to be a fail during scrutineering?

Obviously I can just change it - but I think the Arai GP5-compatible visors are something like £50 from memory...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have heard of scrutineers suggesting to some competitors it is time for a new lid when given a well used helmet, although nothing specific about the visor.

A picture would be good to see how deep it is

IMO - I would have thought as long as it wasn't going to effect the structur integrity of the visor then you might be ok, but I am not an expert so do not take my word for it.

I have an ARAI and moved to a smoked visor so if you do get pulled up at an event you can use my clear one which I always carry with me in case it gets too murky. Only used it last year at wiscombe where it always rains and is quite dark when movign into the tree section...

rob

A piccie here

Not the easiest thing to photograph.

The scratch is not all that deep - certainly won't compromise the strength/structure of the visor - it *is* closer to the central viewing area than I remember, but is definitely in peripheral vision and has not been an issue in use (it happened over a year ago...)

Thanks for the offer if it comes to that... *thumbup*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

Suggest you buy a pack of tear offs from Kipper Jnr or Demon Thieves? I've never known them pay too much attention to the visor - more interested in the straps and the eligibility sticker.

If your first event is a L7 Club Sprint which I'm at, I have a spare for my GP5k. I'll be doing the Longcross first sprint on 23 April, and I'll be able to lend you mine if they are unhappy?

G for Geoff