Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Prisoner wheel weight?

martin b

Does 8.5 Kilo's (inc spare if you have one) really make that much difference to performance 🤔 I find it hard to believe somehow. I can understand it on an F1 car, but c'mon!

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Ozzy. not much on it own but apply this to all aspects of the car and really can add up...

It's rotational mass too. That's worth more. Some say 4 times more.

Also consider a mag alloy 13x6.5's ~ 3.4kg. Then put a light tyre like an ACB10 on and you have a BIG saving!

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

What do you mean by rotational mass? As I understand it, smaller wheels have taller tyres, so surely the diameter of the whole thing is similar.

I currently run 195/50/15 but a 13" might be 185/70/13 Must be similar height?

Yep.... I'm confused *confused*

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Go over a bump and the wheel [unsprung weight] is sent upwards, the energy in the wheel has to be slowed down by the shock, the spring and shock if gas will then return it to the road. Quicker return to the road means a lack of drift around corners, better braking and control.

How do you do this? Remove weight from the wheel, tyre, brakes and suspension components.

Think about the inverted forks on a motorbike, you put the heavy bit at the top and the lighter piston part becomes the fork.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

So if prisoners weigh 7kg, 10 spokes are 6kg, hpc wheels are 8kg, these stunners must be good if you can use wheels this big and heavy compared to a humble minatour at around 5kg, just the wrong diameter.

I presume they are a more modern tyre than the yoko/bridgestone equivalent. I do find it hard to work out the disadvantages of using a larger diameter wheel (my thoughts were similar to Phils) and still end up with a combination that obviously gets results.

Martin

You need a proper set of scales to get an accurate reading on the wheels as my 10 spokes were near the mark on one set of scales and over the top on another.

The thing is that people go on about the smaller wheels accelerating faster but I do not see this if your outer diameter is the same as a larger wheel with lower profile tyre. the CR500 tyres are rated and seem to be lighter but they start off with little tread compared to a road tyre.

The advantages they say with having smaller wheels is that the tyres are cheaper but you can and I have purchased good 195/50/15 tyres for my old prisoners and my new 10 spokes, I use TOYO Proxi TS-1 tyres and they seem to be good in all conditions. Why not try a set of these or splash out on a set of CR500 for your prisoners, use some light weight nuts and possibly get the prisoner rim centres painted with the edges polished, they always looked good on the 7 and set it above the copies.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR