Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another Novice Requires Help

andy_h

Ok, wifey has told me to tell her what I'd like for my Birthday present... so what else but my first track day 😬 What's the advice then?

My v.brief history is a MSM Academy One and Two day....told you it was brief *cool*

For my first I'd like something fairly local, and plenty of other 7's for that team spirit you get at the 7 MSM Academy days.

Reading other posts here I wouldn't want to be pulled for being too noisy. Andrew (Coyt.), what was your noise level when you had your 2.0VX (assuming it was on carbs)? I could pop to Thruxton for a noise check would they do this at weekends?

So where should I go and how do I go about booking it?

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Andy so many questions - I'll email you offline with a personal view and my number - if you haven't kept it. Have a look through the archives under 'novice trackday' or similar too.

VX noise issues can come from 2 main areas - exhaust (both static and drive-by test) and induction (generally drive-by). Mine started off with a standard exhaust at around 99/100dba static and then I changed it for a Raceco which brought the static down to more like 96 - enough to get me into the noise-policed tracks.

I still had drive-by issues at Goodwood (though not Bedford surprisingly) so bought some noise-reducing (Noise Killers) foam to stick on the inside of the bonnet for sound-deadening. It didn't solve it but it helped and was a hell of a lot cheaper than an airbox!

BTW I don't think Thruxton will do noise tests as they don't do trackdays - only experience days in their own cars, and they'll know how noisy they are. They didn't even test us when we tested or raced there. From yours you could go to Combe, Goodwood or one of the MSE airfields for a noise test - we (some Grads) are at Combe with Bookatrack on 11 Feb, it's a Saturday so why not drop by and have your car tested then?

Andrew

Andrew,

Cheers, I'll await your email.

I've been looking at the MSM site and found plenty of airfield venues but not many weekend dates up yet (I've email them asking, including Academy days).

I'm sure some venues are better than others, especially for the the less gifted and require good run off areas 😬.

Can you email me (in your opinion *cool*) any tracks/venues to avoid, and which are great.

Cheers,

Andy *cool*

Edited by - andy_h on 17 Jan 2006 22:53:22

Andy

there will be at leat one maybe two 7 Club only Academy days this year also maybe an Airfield day later i nthe Year, I'd be inclined to maybe make a note in your diary for May 13th nr Oxford *smile*

Hopefully able to confirm details in a week or two max *thumbup*

Mark

Thanks Mark *thumbup*

MSM have emailed me back;

Many thanks for the email. We will be running Caterham only events and 'normal' Academy days this year. We have been working closely with some members of the Lotus 7 Club and will have an announcement shortly so will keep you posted.

Unfortunately we will never run at Abingdon at weekends due to many environmental reasons! Therefore events will in most cases be run on Fridays and the dates that will follow will be from July onwards

I guess your nr Oxford is not Abingdon if it's the 13th.

I'm itching to book my first track day but I'll hold out bit longer for the MSM dates.

I'm also looking to do the MSM Academy days, with my sister who will be in her Elise. Should be a laugh. Anyone else done a mixed Academy day?

Cheers,

Andy *cool*

come to think of it they did put me in a group with 3 other Caterhams which probably helped *cool*

Michael Evans, Angus Davidson and Mark Collins. Wonder whatever happened to them... *tongue* 😬

And it was my first day ever in the car after picking it up - Angus's website has some embarrassing photos Bongo took of me managing to hit the only fence on the airfield, collecting various bits of cone and grass on the way 😬

yes but you'll only get half the driving time each, as the exercises run one car after the other, and the cars that have 'done' wait at the end of a run until everyone has finished, then all the cars repeat the run in the other direction, IYSWIM

If you've got two vouchers I'd do a day each - also swapping about continuously is going to be a faff.

Andrew

Andrew,

Nope, not received your blatmail?

Bryan,

I've done a MSM Academy day with a mate who was my passenger for the day (MSM charged an extra £10 on the day) but he also had a go at driving one of the events (all he wanted to do as he'd not driven a 7 before). I agree it's a faff swaping drivers as some tasks have v. little time between goes (power oversteer 😬).