Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De-Dion tube failure

phillinda

I think you're right that there's probably not the clearance for a bolt. I believe those support brackets are what is fitted to the latest version of the de-dion. If the mounting point really does need to be below the tube, then perhaps a U bracket that goes round the de-dion and holds each end of the mounting tube would be better?

Jonathan

According to Jez Coates last night, they went to the lower mounting point because Bilstein insisted they needed a greater oil content in the dampers and so this provided the solution. I would have thought they could have gone to a larger diameter to achieve the same end result though. *confused*

Steve, yes I do have the most recent incarnation.........together with a damper support that has already been further strengthened by the team in my factory before re-powder coating by Aston Martin.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Mine also failed in exactly the same way as Phils, except the hole was even bigger than his (oh eer) I could get my whole finger in the crack (ditto). The really scary thing was that I only noticed it by accident when checking something totally seperate.

Ordered a new one from Redline and it has been beffed up quite a bit. There is now a bracing plate welded to the thread.

Do not like thinking about what could have happened if it had let go at speed, which was not far off I hasen to add........

Dicky

Well having read all this, understandably I was a little concerned! When I first got the car, I never paid any attention to the damper mounts, but the De-Dion tube looked like it was recent (car is 98 model), as the paintwork on it was unblemished.

Having had a closer look today, I'm pleased (and relieved) to find that this has obviously been replaced not very long ago (I've had the car 20 months), as the lower damper mountings (cars got adjustable Bilsteins, so presumibly they have to go on the lower mounts) have a strengthening bracket welded on as well, and the whole thing looks pukka. I assume this is the latest beefier type, and hopefully will never have a problem with it.

Certainly something to look for when buying a car from now on!

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport