Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A-021R's

JP

Just put some A-021R's on the rears today. Very embarrassed when the bloke asked what pressures I wanted, as I had to respond with a lot of "um" followed by some "err".

What would people recommend?

(Also what torque should the wheel nuts be done up to - this seemed to be very important to the fitter?)

James.

Wheel nut torque was done to death about 6 months ago. A search should reveal that the general consensus was 55ft/lbs, with a little copperslip on the threads and the nut/wheel interface.

Pressure is a hot potato. I'd start with around 20psi, but if you get 10 other answers, you'll get almost as many different opinions...........

If you're running something pooh like Michelins on the front, give yourself an early Christmas present and bin them.

21Rs are truly superb and keeping crap front tyres any longer would be like delaying a night out with Kylie Minogue because you have to go to Tescos.

I run mine at 16psi cold usually and this seems to give good handling and even wear (the two being relatively synonymous I would think). In really hot weather I have gone down to 10psi or 11psi cold when on track as they were wearing badly in the middle. They were quite bald by then though and I pumped them, back up for road use (as they don't get as hot).

Hi Andy

hope you had a good new year break. Our 32r's are great - turn-in and grip in the wet several levels up on the michelins, as you said. New Year in France was great, but very cold! Roads were mostly either damp/wet or very icey - no grip on ice, but fun in large hypermarket car parks! Tyre fitters, despite my requests for 17psi put them at 22psi - noticably central contact patch. Reading the above on 21's, should I have my 32's at a lower pressure for everyday road use in this cold weather?

JP, get some on the front too. Not much point just having them on the back (I would have thought).

Andy M, I always 'thought' that I got more grip on the track with higher pressures... sod the wear rate. wink.gif

A&T - glad to hear you had a good break. Mine wasn't bad either. But quiet.

If the centres are wearing more than the outsides then it's an indicator that they may be too high pressure wise. Lower them and see what happens but I'm running 32Rs at 17psi for the road and they're OK.

buroz - the way to get more grip on the track is surely to make maximum use of the width of tread on the tyre. If you're getting one part of the tyre wearing more than the rest then that bit is doing most of the work. If the centres are wearing quicker than the edges then I'd lower the pressures. It worked a treat for me anyway.

Maybe higher pressures stops the sidewalls ability to roll around more?? But then lowering them evened my wear rate out and I never lost a tyre off a rim...

As for the wear rate, couldn't agree more. We need to keep Yoko in business after all smile.gif

Whilst on the subject of 21Rs, Is there any noticable difference in handling fit, ect between 185 / 60 / 13's and 185 /70 / 13's ?

I am running the former and wondering if the 70 might give the occasional hedgehog or rabbit a better chance if I run over them. ( I jest, more worried about cast iron manhole covers sticking proud in the road)