Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High level brake light

Brucey

Fancy fitting one to the roll bar on my 93 1400K ss.

I've looked on e bay, but they seem to be different (spoiler or rear window)fittings.

Has anyone got a spare one that will fit my 7 and can be seen with the hood up & down? or tell me the best place to get one?

I guess it needs to be slim enough to fit to the back of the roll bar (cable ties?)so it doesn't impead vision in the rear view mirror.

Any help appreciated,

Bruce.

I take it you've seen my solution here - and in dozens of pictures through the site.

This started off as a RING aftermarket light that had two 'pyramid' legs on ball joints to attach it at an angle to any old tintop rear window. The legs (and some of the casing) were binned and the remaining unit (LED array and lens) is zip-tied to the rollbar.

Works very well and wasn't expensive - but for gawds-sake don't buy the light from Halfords - they seem to charge almost twice what Motorworld (or any other general car-bits store) charges.

I think you'll run into some problems with the hood up - this is common to almost all rollbar-fitted solutions - the light will reflect off the inside of the hood and might be distracting - it should be visible outside the car though.

ISTR spending something like £14ish at Motorworld - same unit at Halfords was around £30...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 16 Jan 2006 16:36:14

I bought mine from Halfords, and it wasn't as much as £30...

My installation is similar to Myles', but I slung mine underneath the Bar rather than on the back to ease visibilty with the hood on. Will certainly show under a half hood.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

edited to correct typo, just cos I drive a modified clio doesn't make me a Chav.... Thanks for pointing out the glaring mistake Myles.

Edited by - Tom_C on 16 Jan 2006 17:32:14

I've got an SVC LED light, which I bought off Slider@7 - you can see it in the photos contained in his article in this month's Low Flying.

The light itself is an off the shelf unit, with a custome made moulded mount that is designed to fit to the roll bar. I just used sticky pads (number plate mounts) to stick it on.

Virtually invisible from the rear view mirror, and I think it will be visible with the hood up, although I was worried about glare, so have fitted a connector in the boot to disconnect if needed...

You can see it on the SVC site here - described as 'CARBON FIBRE EFFECT HIGH LEVEL BRAKE LIGHT' about 1/4 way down the page.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 8000 miles completed!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys *thumbup*

I went to my local motor factors and was seduced by a much smaller 'boot mount' type unit (£7)which I adapted (using bits from my sons push bike mud guard mounting kit) to sling under the roll bar.

I simply replaced the single bullit conector (under the rear mud guard) for a double and connected my live feed to that! I attached the earth to a mudguard mounting bolt inside the boot.

Job done 😬 or so I thought, until I tested it and found that the light just isn't bright enough 🙆🏻 O.K at night and in full solar eclipses but otherwise useless during the day.

So I went off to Halfords to get a Ring one last night. I still wanted to mount it beneath the roll bar to get it as close to the rear window as possible with the hood up.

The one I chose (£16) has clear LED's that turn red when lit and is much brighter. I know this because I went colour blind for about 10 minutes after testing it last night!

They also had ones like Myles used but with different numbers of LED's at different prices.

As Halfords wouldn't test it in the shop, I've got 25 days to decide if I like the rather cheap looking housing (as long as I don't fit it to the car!).

I'm beginning to like the £47 one in this months low flying Norway article car more and more!

I'm also surprised no one in the club is making a Carbon Fibre or C/F look alike housing to match the Caterham roll bar mounting and that takes the Ring light array. Anyone interested 🤔

Bruce.

Bruce

The one I have is the very one that was featured in Low Flying (Bruno sold it after his trip), and does have a fake CF moulding which fits to the rollbar.

I can take some photos at the weekend if you want to see it - Blatmail me...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 8000 miles completed!

Brucey

Mine is stripped out of all the cheapy casing and tidied up in black duct tape. I'll try to get a photo for you if you blatmail me your address. IMHO it makes for a really neat installation.

On my car I couldn't use a casing like Bruno's as my hood is already near impossible to fit over the full cage, without trying to get it over a light as well.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!