Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another oil question

Alex Wong1697456877

What's the best way to warm an engine up?

Obviously a new engine should not be left to idle as the bores will glaze. Is this true of all engine ages or is it not an issue after it's worn itself in? Am I better off warming it up under load or waiting for it to warm before setting off?

I use 15/50 oil and obviously warming up is very important with such a thick oil.

As for laminova's, I can't say they appeal to me.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Jan 2006 10:41:24

Alex, the best way to warm an engine is to drive it avoiding overloading. Keep the revs below 3000 (4000 on "hot" engine capable of, say 8,000). Drive gently for at least 10 miles, 20 will be better.

However, if your bedding in a new engine, the best way is to drive it steady for as long as you can and keep it running (so leave it running when filling up). I ran the BDR in, after Rogers upgrade, by driving non stop from Sheffield to Penzance. We stayed 2 nights and then drove back non-stop to the 7 workshop. It was left overnight in the garage and Roger pulled the head down and did the final setup on the RR in the morning.

It's all important to do this as best you can to bed an engine in. I've now done about 30k in this engine and it's still sweet and on full song.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

but as there is relatively less stress on the engine/gearbox will that cuase any problems or take it even longer to warm up as there is no load...

I can see 2 sets of comedy going on with that

1. those that forget the car is jacked up and trya nd drive away

2. those that jacks fail and the cars fly off...

plus not all events would have suitable flat solid ground to do that...

rob

Alex,

FWIW, the R500 advice from Minister is to keep the engine below 4,000 rpm until the oil temperature reached 50. Even in summer this takes a surprisingly long time to achieve (and has cost me quite a few lost minutes on the first session of a track day - especially if the briefing runs late!!!!).

Martin

R500 MPR

My Porsche 944 drivers manual says that once started the car should be driven and NOT left to idle to warm up. Obviously with guides on not labouring or thrashing. As they designed the engine in my car to reach 250,000 miles without a rebuild, I guess they know what they are talking about!

Take the point about sprint events though, guess oil warmer needed there (laminova), I have heard of an element in the sump to warm fluids but have never seen or known of it.

At track days I always ensure the oil is up to temp before driving hard. F1 engines have a laptop to warm them up, do a set of blips to certain rev ranges and holding revs for certain times, all pre programmed, I guess at a sprint you could do that...might look a bit of an 🙆🏻 though *confused*.