Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Surge

Mr G

Chaps

I wanted some extra protection against oil surge for the upcoming trackday season.

I have an apollo tank. I've heard that someone has developed baffles that are near perfect for the job on a K series.

Is this correct? Where can I get this component?

Thank

Mr G

The baffles are made by Hellier Performance.

I won't mince words and my experiences are well-documented here in blatchat - the baffle has not prevented oil-surge in my case.

I don't know what the ratio is, but there are a fair number of people in each camp - some of whom believe the baffle to work adequately, others (like myself) who still see oil surge.

The issue is muddied by the wide variation in oil-pressure gauges in use. Some are quite heavily-damped and will mask transitory variations in pressure - I like to think that my SPA digital gauge falls into the more accurate and quicker-reacting group - I've certainly seen OP drop to under 30psi in some situations on the road with ordinary tyres - not just in track situations.

One modification that might be worth pursuing instead is DVA's gasket mod - this is a simple (and free!) modification to the main sump gasket that might/should/will/won't (take your pick *tongue*) allow oil draining from the head to be deposited close to the pick-up.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mr G

I have a virtually brand new hellier baffle for sale, it was in the engine for about 700 miles after a rebuild but I've decided to opt for a dry sump.

Normall hellier prince is 148 + VAT + P&P. I'll take 145 including P&P for mine if you're interested.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

Have a look at Jason's site here for instructions.

After removing the foam thingy I installed the baffle & found there was no difference in surge. After modifying my pickup, as per Jason's instructions, this improved considerably. How did I modify it? Well I used DVA's technique & just knocked the pickup pipe with a drift to create the required 3mm clearance .

Having stripped the engine only one big end shell shows signs of wear & that's after 5 years of hard use in a 175BHP engine that's been regularly run to 7500rpm.

I too am moving to a dry sump so have a Hellier baffle & modified pickup, plus sump & windage plate all in good condition for sale.

Edited by - Mick Day on 10 Jan 2006 17:26:25