Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Question for ARNIE

Mark H

Arnie could you please tell me where you got the carbon head lamp bowls from?

also as you seem to have spent more time and i expect money with arch motors do you know if its possible to have them convert my chassis from its early type front sus. to new spec so i could fit the latest wide track suspension ?

Many thanx Mark smile.gif

Mark, I made them.

Then I sold them and got some mean 5 1/4 inch metal ones from James Whitimg.

The wide track will fit a pre 96 chassis, you just dont get the anti dive geometry. Personally my nonj-= anti dive chassis does not dive anyway...... If your chassis is Pre 92 (I.E a Spax damper chassis) there is a kit available to fit the top wishbones to give double wishbone front susp.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Less drag.....

I have theory regarding pressure changes around air filters caused by the headlamps.

If you are seriously interested in carbon 5 1/4 inch lamps and can find at least 6 likeminded individuals we could copy the casing to the small ones in Carbon. You'd still need to buy the complete item from JW though to salvage all the fixings/lens etc......

Fat Arn

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 3 Jan 2002 09:44:26

Arnie , How much do you think we would be looking at for the bowls?

Re, my other question about the front sus. i have read previous threads about the extra bracket for the top bone fitment, But how can i run the wide track bones with my early top link set up ?

Mark smile.gif

Edited by - MARC HICKS on 3 Jan 2002 11:15:41

I'm running 5 3/4 inch bowls from W*******d (note it's actually 5 3/4 rather than 5 1/4, sure James' are the same).

I'd be interested in bowls in carbon if the price is right. I recall you borrowed a 5 3/4 light unit off me many years ago to see if carbon bowls were feasible and decided they were not. What's changed?

Guess what - Grahams got me again..... 5 3/4 it is then!

Graham, The thing that has changed is the supplier!

He even thinks he could make the retaining ring for the lens in CF.

Now, who has a pair of JW lamps unfitted which I can borrow to get a pattern quote made from??

Fat Arn

OK let me try and frighten you.

The old CCC ones I used to make cost £220/pair for the bowls and we never got the rims to work.

This price does not include making the tooling - I reckon that will cost min £1000 if we do the rim.

So if we make 8 pairs we are looking at ((8 x £180) + 1000))/8 = £305 per set PLUS VAT plus £90 for the innards from JW.

So you are looking at a min of £450 per set.

YES the'll look very cool and they will be of very high quality, but are you really prepared to commit to this kind of price for a pair of headlamps???

Perhaps now you will understand why I have satin black lamps on my car.....

Steve - Its too much hassle to obtain the parts separately, and I dont want to compete with James, just enhance his offering.

Fat Arn

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 3 Jan 2002 18:24:09

Thanks for the cost analysis Arn. I think you're probably right, at this level of cost I'm sure we could find other ways of dumping £450 on our beloveds - se7ens that is!

Thanks for the thought and work you've ovbiously put in here but I think, at this point, I will make a tactical withdrawal from the project.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Give Mark Oliver at Ratrace Motorsport a call (Tel: 020 8830 5677). We were there towards the end of last year, he showed us a prototype carbon head lamp bowl they had made - looked really smart. I think they had made the rim as well. Definately worth a call.

JD