Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rolling chassis with no diff - feasible?

Myles

Hypothetical at the moment - but...

One of the LSD BB purchasers has only got a small one - garage that is.

The question is, how could the diff be removed without stranding the car half-in and half-out of the garage while the new diff is built up?

My brilliant suggestion (or fatally-flawed plan - who knows) is to roll the car out of the garage, jack it, pull the rear apart and extract the diff - and then rebuild as a rolling chassis sans-diff.

Sure, it would be a bit of extra work to reattach the a-frame etc., but it would change the installation from one requiring a professional garage (the diff would have to be extracted and built up independently) into something that we could achieve on our own...

Whaddya think?

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The other thought was that - as the driveshafts don't need to be completely withdrawn from the car (just the diff), it might be possible (with much swearing) to get the job done inside the garage without moving the car - it would be a complete bugger though.

I'm trawling the recesses of the memory about this....to keep it rolling, you'll need to keep the driveshafts attached to the hubs won't you? so as long as the unattached inboard ends of the driveshafts can rotate without fouling anything/ scraping on the floor, you should be ok....?

Martin

Roadsports B with upgradeitis

Two or three blokes on the back end should be able to lift it while a coupel push the front end, then just drop onto axle stands.

Either that or make a skate up like removal men have and chuck it under the rear of the chassis.

If you make it about 6" high it should do.

OR a sack trolley horizontal under the tank with a board to spread the load onto chassi tubes.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

Thanks for the suggestions - It's not my car - I do all my work in the great outdoors...

The sack-trolley sounds like a possibility - and I had thought of just hefting it, but that might up the person-count beyond what is readily available.

I still favour the diff-less rolling-chassis on the basis that the car can be moved in a limited way if needed.

Right, now just got to persuade the owner that this is sensible *wink*

DELBERT! *tongue*

• Support Team

Surely the diff and drive shafts play no part in suspending the wheels from the car. Therefore if you take them off and reassemble the suspension, all will be fine. Of course this means you have to either a)remove the the drive shafts from the hubs or b)take the whole hub assembly off with the drive shaft. In case a) everything is fine but you have to undo that 41mm (?) 200lbft nut. In case b) it is possible (I can't visualise it now) that the bolts that hold the de-dion to the radius arms normally go through the hub as well and therefore will now be too long.

You could leave the drive shafts on the hubs and just lay the diff ends of the shafts on a plastic tray or similar so that they slide along the ground as you wheel the car forward.

The simplest solution though is to suspend the rear of the car on some wheeled device - either a trolley jack (bit risky) or a proper dolly. I made some dollys out of 4x4 fence post and B&Q castors. If did it again I'd get bigger castors - Machine Mart do some good value ones.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun - my plan would be to just reinsert the entire driveshaft and just be careful that they don't snag/bash into anything. It's only got to move about 4-5 feet... (and no, I haven't forgotten the propshaft... *wink*)

Rob - was that with engine and box in situ? I know my chassis was ridiculously easy to wheelbarrow about on the back wheels with no engine/box/front suspension, but I'm not sure about the other way around.