Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which Sequential Shift Lights?

Farmer_Terry

Thinking that this would have been covered many times already, I searched the archives, but to little avail, so here goes.

What are the recommended shift lights? On a budget so nothing too fancy, it’s only for track days really.

The engine is a 2 litre zetec – am I likely to have any fitting problems?

Thanks

Farmer Terry

Most shiftlights work with most ignition systems - coil or driven by the ECU.

ACES will be beyond your price range (at nearly £200) but are excellent.

Someone posted about a system I'd never heard of just before Christmas - I'll have a search - the system sounded like it did virtually everything ACES do ('lite' versions of which are used on the R3/4/500 series cars) but at an astoundingly-low price.

Hang on...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Found it.

Digital Race Electronics here

Not super-cheap at £100ish, but it stacks up well against the ACES.

Both units have a relatively-rare feature in that you set the shift-points by dialing in a rev-level on a digital display - virtually all the other units require you to rev the engine to 1/2 of the shift-point revs and this is obviously less-flexible and more prone to error.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks everyone for all the info - interesting making a choice. *confused*

Nick H – could you let me know how you get on with the sewage-proofing as there does tend to be a fair bit of s**t flying about when my co-driver and I get in the car *smile*

Seriously, I would like to know about waterproofing the DRE one as it certainly looks good.

The Omex is the same price, but doesn’t let you “dial in” the revs, or record max revs.

The Wecon Alpha is £25 cheaper, but I reckon the ability to dial the revs, record max revs, and to choose your own colour scheme tips it in favour of the DRE.

Also with DRE – since you can now pick the colours of the lights what did people choose? Green / green / green / amber / red looks good to me.

Farmer Terry

Nick H

Have you installed the DRE lights yet?

From the website these seem to be a very good halfway house beween the Webcon Alpha and the full Aces. It looks a small unit with the added advantage of no secondary unit - one very neat little package with a built in read out to set the top and bottom end of the rev range. And you can choose your own colours for the lights 😬.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.