Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clutch Replacement

Bozz

OK guys here we go again *tongue*

Pulled the engine out yesterday and now ready to go to Oily's next week 😬

Took the clutch cover off and IMHO the frcition plate looks worn (not far off the rivets).

The cover looks OK.

CC have quoted £25 for a new plate but suggested that the competition clutch and cover are lighter and better (at £200 😳 *confused*)

Is this a worthwhile upgrade for car that's used mainly on the road?

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO and it's grounded

Edited by - bozz on 9 Jan 2006 13:57:04

and now ready to go to OIly's next week

Misread that the first time - there was I thinking "That's another fine mess..." *tongue* *wink*

The 'competition' clutch (an AP part) is standard now, from what I understand.If you're uprating the engine, why not bring the clutch up to current spec? Any saving in rotational-mass is usually worthwhile too - but if you've got a standard flywheel, it's unlikely to make a huge amount of difference.

Can you afford/be bothered to remove the engine again in x-thousand miles if you find the £25 plate can't cope? I'm running a second-hand AP clutch (and plate) that had already done 20k miles in a 200bhp SLR and still had 2/3rds of the allowable wear left on it.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles

Wasn't planning any big horse power increases for the time being, but must admit was a bit surprised to see the amount of wear after at most 20K miles!

Engine has standard flywheel.

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO and it's grounded

3 years & 12350 miles ago, when I uprated my engine, I put in a standard clutch. It coped very well with 175BHP. On stripping the engine for further changes the clutch plate looks as new. It's a light car so you don't need a "strong" clutch especially if you treat it gently & don't "drop" the clutch or indulge in donuts!

What am I fitting now? The AP version to cope with the higher torque & power, but would be more than happy to refit the old clutch if there were no changes.