Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Still got fuel pump not working.. Now solved - results at end

henry21p

OK - new fuel pump fitted and tested using direct 12v feed

Voltage at plug that goes to fuel pump also tested - getting voltage on turning the key for a few seconds (giving fuel pressure) and then also when cranking (as expected).

Connect the two up - no pump initialisation.

The above tests have eliminated fuse/relay and immobiliser problems as well as a break in the circuit (including from the inertia switch).

So - the problem appears to be that UNDER LOAD, i'm not getting enough power to the pump (my tests on the voltage are on the disconnected plug).

My head hurts.

Edited by - dave21p on 15 Jan 2006 12:59:21

Have you removed the black plastic connector from the pump itself? I made the mistake of doing this - when I reconnected it then unbeknown to me it pushed the part of the connector which is in the pump (white plastic/nylon bit) into the tank and so wasn't making contact. Ended up in the same situation as you - voltage at the end of the loom where it connects to the pump, but no pump action.

Mike

did you try putting an ammeter in the circuit when cranking (with pump connected) to see if what current is being drawn?

OR could you put the volt-meter across the terminal of the pump with it plugged in and running. If there is some fault in the circuit that is causing a high resistance elsewhere then you won't see the full 12v droppping over the pump when all plugged in and trying to crank (the volts will be dropped across the 'fault' in the circuit rather than the pump).

You could then practise your ohms law (v=ir) and figure out how big the resistance in the circuit is! 😬

unfortunately 2 problems

1 - moved out of meriden to elsewhere in cov

2 - car is daaarn sarf - but if you still want to help i can offer beer/food/sunday lunches etc.

(p.s. that offer isn't just for Myles - anyone who can help get me road worthy is welcome - Trev's volunteered at the moment but he might get sidelined helping someone remove a diff)

I very recently had exactly the same problem. I had voltage on the wire at the pump, but the pump itself didnt work. I eventually traced it to a corroded live wire in the little resin block on the outside of the pump housing. It was no longer connected to the terminal where it enters the pump.

Edited by - julians on 11 Jan 2006 14:56:38

Maybe we're talking about different pumps. The one on the 7 consists of 2 parts, the pump itself and the metal housing that holds the pump and allows the whole assembly to bolt to the fuel tank. the wires went into the metal housing and it was here that they had corroded. Replacing the pump itself made no difference.

I guess if your entire pump assembly works when connected to a 12v supply then its not the same problem as mine.

traced back all the wires and found the problem

One of the wires going from the back of the relay unit had a very slight split in it where it had been bent at an angle (right in the middle of a tight bunch of wires) - only reason we spotted it was the mess left by the resultant corrosion of the core in the wire.

Really tiny tiny little problem!