Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec oil (running in and synth or semi synth?)

Big Brother

My Zetec is getting close to starting now, so I need to get some oil for running in the engine.

Most posts say that the Zetec needs 5W-30 oil to avoid problems with rattly followers.

That's fine, but I have not been able to track down any mineral based 5W-30 localy.

Comma do a semi-synthetic 5W-30 that's only £14 for 5 litres.

Would this be suitable for running in the engine?

Also, as I plan to change the oil on a regular basis and the engine will mainly see road use - would the above semi-synthetic oil be suitable for everyday use?

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Incorporating the Caterham Links Database

Cant give you any sort of 'qualified' technical answer, I can only tell you what I have done.

I run my zetec on castol gtx 5w-30 semi synth for the past 5 years , a lot of trackdays and its still going strong today , 20000 miles later, same oil pressure as when new.

I dont know of any fully mineral 5w-30 either, I ran mine in on the castrol semi synth stuff.

Hi Se7en-up I have run my Zetec for 10,000 miles since June on Shell Hellix semi synth and haven't had a problem, the only time I did have a problem is when I put Fully synth in and my so took it for a dam good thashing and came back with ticking Lifters, *confused* so ran it a couple more times and the same thing happend so changed back to semi synth and everthing has been OK, don't know why this is I thought that fully synth would be better but the engine dosn't seem to like it I did 3,500 miles in Germany in the summer in very warm temps and never had ticking lifters but as soon as I put fully synth in they tick an old sewing machine *confused* hope this has been a help Regards Paul

Hi again se7en-up what E.C.U are you waiting for, I hope its not the GEMS E.C.U, I waited 10 weeks last year for one, and ended up canceling *mad* and getting an Emerald which works very well by the way. I used a lot of Raceline stuff and that was the one they recomend, but its used on the Rally scobies so they get theres first, hope this isn't the case Regards Paul

Lots of suppliers do a 10w/30 mineral base if you are worried, use this to run it in.

Shell Helix is a 10w/40 semi and not a bad oil but a 30grade would be better for this application.

ROLLBAR, very good point, phone oilman and get the correct answer as many will have an opinion on this subject.

Some people take there cars for a dam good thrashing, return and turn the engine off to let the hot components burn the oil onto metal parts and then noises occur.

Let your engine run for a couple of minutes when you get back especialy after a couple of laps on the track. People do this for turbo engines.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR