Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wide Track Kit

Simon Hancock

My wide track kit has arrived from Caterham. Reading the note that came with it suggest that the springs have to be preloaded by adjusting the seats by 8mm. If adjustable seats are not fitted use the replacements provided. Am I right in thinking that my standard bilsteins are not adjustable? as there are no spring seats in the kit I guess they are missing. Anyone fitted one?

Cheers

Simon

C7 BLK Mem no 10929

The standard bilstein dampers have several grooves machined into the damper body. These are for the location of the circlip that holds the spring platforn in position. So you will probably need to move the circlip and platform up to the next groove on the damper body and fit the 27mm hexagonal spacers to extend your dampers. If you tap the ali platform it should move revealing the circlip that lives beneath. Fitting the hexagonal spacers can be difficult as the damper top locating eye is loctited onto the damper rod. I would advise you to get caterham to take these off for you unless you have access to a 10 ton press.

I've changed a couple of these without problem. The widetrack ones are hexagonal, so a spanner on the locknut and a spanner on the mount. For the narrow track mounts I used a suitable sized bar through the top eye and a spanner on the lock nut (17mm IIRC). All came apart fairly easily *thumbup*.

I would advise you to get caterham to take these off for you unless you have access to a 10 ton press
Alternatively, you could try applying a little heat to the eye with, say, a blowtorch (with care, so as not to damage the rubber insert). The Loctite is heat-sensitive, and the joint frees up quickly when hot.

JV

Yes - someone has just pointed this out to me.

There is supposed to be a spacer for widetrack that sits between the upright and the spherical bearing (just checked the build manual) - as a result, the upright doesn't protrude through the bearing as much - and so a thinner nut is needed.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Just realized the turned down nut forms the lower part of the bearing sleeve and slides into the joint. *idea*

The problem now is while trying to remove the eye from the shock, the nut on the shaft is just turning so won't come undone. *mad*

Guess I will have to get it welded back onto the shaft 🙆🏻

The other one was fine.

Oh well, the joys of Caterham ownership *cool* *cool*

Simon