Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on helmet please

Tonycaterham

Intend to go sprinting/hillclimbing and do a few trackdays this year so will be going along to Autosport show looking for a helmet amongst other things.

Has anyone any suggestions as to best type of helmet to purchase. I have always fancied one of the Simpson Bandit helmets since a friend of mine had one in the 80's for his bike(yes I know they are not road legal for bikes). Happy to spend up to about £350

Tony

Simpson Bandit should be OK as they comply with Snell 2000 and FIA rules. The MSA will accept any Helmet with Snell 2000 certification. Unless it comes supplied with the MSA shiny sticker (some of the big suppliers can arrange this to save you the trouble) you will just then need to get the scrutineer at your first event to apply one and pay him £1 for the privelidge

Demon Twatts will have a huge stand at Autosport show, they've just started selling Simpson again (they always used to thenm stopped a couple of years ago). Go along and try a number of helmets on and see if the Simpson suits you.

Having found one you like you can always go somewhere cheaper and buy it.... Cor, did I suggest that? What a shameful way to carry on...

I've used a Simpson Bandit (from Demon Tweeks!!) for sprinting for about 5 years and have been very happy with it.

But there's no substitute for trying one on, everybody has a different shape head and a helmet design that suits some people won't suit others.

I bought a Bell Sport 2 helmet a year ago and i am really pleased with it - it is very comfortable for me. At Demon Tweeks showroom they had a rack of all helmets and sizes so it was easy to try them all on for best fit

S31VEN

DON'T BUY WITHOUT TRYING - FORGET MAIL ORDER

The important factor when buying a helmet is the fit. We all have different size and shaped heads. You can't rely on size alone. When I bought mine (Shoei)I tried a range of helnmets on, different makes , styles, sizes. If the person serving you knows what they are doing then should talk you through. but one factor I found was even two different styled helmets by the same manufacturer although the same size fitted differently. It's one of those things you must try on. Its not only the fit when on, but ease of fitting removing are also worth considering.Some were horibly uncomfortable, others wwere OK on but a pain to get on, eventually I got one that was comfortable on, and not a problem to put on or take off.

My helmet is a standard size, but I recall many years ago when in the airforce, the fitting was done by medical technicians, who after finding the basic size, then adjusted the helmet to precisly fit usinfg screwdrivers!! It was quite painless really :-))

Buy the best you can afford.

John Gathard

John - Mail order is OK in some instances for helmets as most places including demon twonks have a free service to take it back if it does not fit.

Best bet as others have said is to try a whole bunch on and get one that fits properly

rob

Following the refusal of a scrutineer to re-sticker my old helmet last year I bought a new helmet last week. The old one was purchased mail order following a fitting session at my local motor cycle emporium, the sales person would not price match so I bought the identical helmet at a considerable saving.

I visited 2 large motorcycle dealers last week and as a spectacle wearer I discovered that something must have changed in the design of helmets since my last purchase, I could easily find an helmet that would fit comfortably but the padding in most seemd to prevent my spectacles from fitting correctly over my ears. Aware of the Demon Tweaks return policy I phoned and explained my problem and was told that most people cut the pieces off the spectacles that go over the ears (obviously not a spectacle wearer) and he confirmed that the policy is for one return only, I left it at that. I then returned to the closest large local dealer and probably by luck was greeted by the sales person who seemed to know more about the correct fitting of helmets than anyone else and he quickly guided me to a BS 6658 type A (accectable for all national motorsport) helmet that met all my criteria other than of course price, he knocked £70 quid off (this made it less than I was prepared to pay) rather than have me walk out of the shop, worth asking this time.

I learned 3 things last week, no one in a motorcycle dealership knows what approvals are required for motorsport, it appears that all 2002 stock helmets are going to be ECE 22 spec rather than BS and this new spec (whatever it is) will not be permitted in motorsport, this was stated in the MSA December bulletin and neither stocked Snell 2000 or BS 6658 type A/FR spec helmets that are necessary for FIA events.

Happy shopping.

All,

Thanks for all the prompt responses. If you see someone with a helmet on running about and shaking his head and making seven type noises???!!! at the Autosport show on Saturday, then that will be me.

Good job I'm not going for the nomex underwear....yet!

Thanks again

Tony

Good advice above.

The advice that sticks in my mind was that you should be able to get your index finger inside between the front of your chin and the helmet. For safety and comfort.

I will be looking for a new one on the D.T stand at Autosport show or at least try a few on...

Don't buy a cheap lid!!!!! Your brain is worth the extra, trust mewink.gif The best place to get a lid wil be the up-coming motorcycle show at Alexandra Palace. Not good for you, Simon, but for any-one else in striking distance, it'll be the cheapest place to get a quality lid by far.

I dont want cheap, I want an expensive lid bit at low cost... dont we all!

My motto is you pay for what you get, but as often happens here I pay 400 quid for a set of tyres turn up at a track day to have someone tell me they got the same ones for 200.....

X777CAT

Will the scrutineers fail a helmet simply on age or is it the condition of the helmet the thing they will be looking at. My brother has generously donated an arai helmet that he used to use for my trackday use but he tells me that it is out of date for sprinting. The condition is excellent apart from two 4mm sq areas where the white paint is scratched off. I am not questioning what my brother has told me but I am getting the impression that people are using fairly 'old' lids. Or is it just my interpretation of old? smile.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Simon.

Your lid (if it's in good nick) will be OK for sprinting. You'll need to pay the first scrutineer who looks at it a quid for an "MSA Approved" sticker, which he will stick on. A type A helmet does NOT have fire proof lining (a type A/FR does) so buy a nomex balaclava.

Helmets can be failed purely on age, but I don't have the Blue Book to hand to be able to tell you how old is too old. It can also fail on condition. Unfortunately, the decision can appear to be fairly arbitrary. If the scrutineer decided that the marks on the helmet are consistant with an impact, then he will fail it. The brain is the most valuable organ in the body, so failing it may save you from turning in to a vegetable, should you have a nasty impact. Don't be too upset, do buy good brain protection.

I got it about 10 months ago an I have used it 5 times on trackdays and thats it.

It costs 200ukp and is a decent construction it is a gun - wind model which I was led to believe a good model.

But what happens if I turn up and they wont approve it?

X777CAT

But what happens if I turn up and they wont approve it?

Get hold of a scrutineer (details in the Blue Book, when it arrives) and see if he will approve it for you at a mutually agreed meeting place (the pub, or his house/your house etc). If it's only 10 months old, and is in good condition (ie no obvious signs of impact) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Edited by - Blatman on 4 Jan 2002 18:37:32

You could go to an event before you're competing and get a sticker, sprint, hillclimb or even a stage rally, anywhere with an MSA scrute in attendance. You could phone a scrute from the blue book, they're listed in one of the extra thin books that come with your licence, and make a personal visit for a sticker.

But really I wouldn't bother, it's a formality, not a big deal. I've never known a helmet that looks OK fail. If the worst happens then someone else will lend you a helmet, not ideal but you'll still be competing.

• Area Representative

FYI, I went along to GPR last night to have a look at the helmets.

The guy told me that as Bell have now moved their production from Amercia to Italy, their lids are cheaper. He showed me a Sport II, IIRC, that was 150 pounds cheaper. Being cynical, the Sport III is now out, too.

Tony7, I'll be at the Caterham stand at noon tomorrow. Perhaps we can compare notesquestion.gif

Cheers