Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine removal advice

Mim

Armed with a brand new engine hoist I am about to attempt the removal of my Vauxhall 2 ltr in order to inspect the rear main oil seal. As a first timer I would welcome any advice. I have drained oil and water and now in the process of removing external components. I assume I can leave the bell housing and gearbox in situ?

Yes. Take the engine out and leave the box and bellhousing in the car.

Remove the follwing major bits:

Starter

Air Filters and back plates (I pray its not a VX inj!!! these are a pig)

Header Tank

Alternator

Exhaust

Take the engine mounts off both engine and chassis befor attempting to remove.

Take care when refitting the exhaust - the threads on the head (if you do not have all studs) are quite soft and strip easily.

If your car has removeable chassis diagnols remove at least the pass side one.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

And put a trolley jack under the gearbox or bellhousing before you pull the engine away from the gearbox. If you lift the engine (crane) and gearbox (jack) a little before separating them that gives more clearance at the front of the engine.

If you don't have the removeable diagonals, pre 1994 or race chassis, then you need to uncouple the engine and gearbox and then get the engine nearly vertical before you can slide it towards the front of the engine bay to get the rear flange (where the bellhousing mounts) between the diagonals.

I've cleverly managed to crack the starter motor mounting flange off my block so that it fits more easily between the diagonals. Makes mounting the starter a bit more difficult though.....

Thanks chaps. Unfortuneately I do not have the removeable diagonals and have been advised previously that the engine needs to come out/go in at quite an accute angle. Its been recomended to use a Load Leveller (Machine Mart item) in conjunction with the hoist? Arnie - I am on carbs - do these need to come off and if so with/without the manifold?

Check and double check that all electrics are off before you start hoisting, although there aren't many on a carb engine. Start with the car on stands to aid getting to the engine mounting brackets.

A piece of wood with a rope is useful to hold the gearbox up with whilst the engine is out. The wood should be long enough to lie on the top of the chassis to hang the input shaft from.

Don't forget to put the release bearing back in before you replace the engine!

Mim,

The MM load leveler works well, but I have not tried it on a VX car.

You should be able to leave the carbs on.

Also ensure you pick the engine up by the loops which bolt to the nsf and osr of the head.

I'd also say that instead of lifting the engine to an acute angle 30deg from horiz is the max requred, then swivenl the engine so the centreline is parallel to the left side chassis diagnal.

Good luck!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Successfully hoisted out with no major problems - thanks for your help. I now want to get to the main seal and therefore appreciate any comments or tips re removing clutch and flywheel