Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bicycle trip Holland-Venice-Holland 2006

J.Smit

Bicycle trip Holland-Venice-Holland (3200 km in 5 / 6 weeks):

Planning on doing another bicycle trip this summer (June/July) trying to raise as much money for the Leukaemia Research Fund as possible. This time the destination will be the wonderfull town of Venice in Italy. Please visit my website if you want to read more about my previous bicycle trips for the LRF.

Thank you for visiting my fundraising page. Please dig deep and sponsor me online.

Donating through this site is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Leukaemia Research Fund will receive your money faster and, if you are a UK taxpayer, an extra 28% in tax will be added to your gift at no cost to you.

So please sponsor me now!

Many thanks for your support.

Jan Smit

Caterham Super Seven

Ford 2.0 Zetec (165 bhp)

Mustard Yellow

Venice 2006 website

Edited by - JanSmit on 2 Oct 2008 13:15:36

Hello Paul,

I live some 20 km from Utrecht in a very small village. Putting down Utrecht makes it easier for people to find on the map. Yes, Utrecht has a very nice centre, specially nearby the old canals and the Dom church tower. Nice city, murder on traffic, but on a bike it is not so bad.

Cheers,

Jan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally a change to get you people a status update of the bicycle trip. Reached Venice last Monday after cycling 16 days covering a total distance so far of 1870 km. So far the weather has been absolutely marvelous with lots of sunshine and high temperatures.

Venice is a lovely city to visit. By not using a streetmap for the first day I got to see lots of narrow streets and plenty of famous building at the same time (the place is simply packed with old builidings, churches and lovely see'through shots of narrow canals with gondolas). The only thing is that by walking these streets without a map you feel to get a bit lost after trying to find your way back to what seems the same small streets you thouigh you came in the morning.

Going to Bassano tomorrow and will probably be in Switserland in about four days to complete the rest of the tour.

Cheers,

Jan S.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed the bicycle trip. As planned I arrived home last Friday after cycling a total of 4300 km ( yes, I know, some 1100 km more than planned at first but who cares). With plenty of sunshine most of the days (with the occasional shower), but managed to do the whole trip without wearing a jacket which is quite unique. What more can one ask for, and with temperatures sometimes over 35 degrees it got a bit hot on some days. Plenty of water up to 4 litres a day to keep the machine in motion,

All goals have been reached: via Germany (Remagen, Bingen, Heidelberg, Tübingen, to Friedichshafen), then in Austria via the Silvretta Alpenstrasse to Italy via the Reschenpas, Trento, Verona, Ferrara to Venice, and two days later back via Bassano, Trento, Reschenpass (and not the Brenner I had as option), Arlberg and then via Liechenstein to Switzerland via the Oberalp pas and the Furka passing Martigny to Geneva and back to Lausanne via Neuchatel and Bieler See to Brugg (family visit), and then Basel to France, Selestat (Col du Donon) in the direction of Metz, Vianden (Our valley) to Eupen, via Plateau of Margraten to Maastricht along

the Meuze river to Venlo, Nijmegen and then via the Betuwe to Utrecht.

Number of countries : 8 (Germany, Austria, Italy, Liechenstein, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium)

Punctures : NONE

Dirt roads : 250 km

Total distance : 4300 km

Shortest distance per day: 81 km

Longest distance per day : 175 km

Weight lost : 10 kilos ;)

A very special holiday, and a totally different experience than the one to Santiago in 2004. And it remains a strange phenomenon that one manage to return back home exactly on schedule despite the number of kilometres cycled.

Now it's time to collect the outstanding pledges (often the hardest part of a trip).

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by - JanSmit on 20 Feb 2007 17:17:54