Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Manual fan switch

stephen grant

Why are people arguing about this? If someone wants to fit a fan switch, well that's their perogative. I'm glad I did, as I can just flick it on at will, particularly in the summer. This has the added benefit of the temp never getting to 92c or so, which is approx when the sender operates. I'd prefer my engine temp to stay around 80c, which I can now control.

Chris has been extremely helpful in lots of areas, please don't pee him off!

Keep up the good work Chris *thumbup*

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

There is space for a spare relay in the fusebox. I used existing unused low current wiring to get the relay signal from the Emerald ECU to the relay. The existing high current wiring from the fusebox still goes up front to the fan and is simply bridged over to the high current side of the relay. Job done. No extra connectors. No relays and extra wires ty-wrapped in the engine bay.

I use an override-switch and a relay - at the sharp-end where Chris W recommends it. Originally, I had the relay in the spare slot in the fuse box - but the fan *did* run noticeably slower with a long run of wire when compared to the speed it ran at when switched by the rad switch itself. Eventually, I moved the relay right next to the rad, and it seems happy - if rather ungainly.

I'm not sure why people want to make sure their override-switch LEDs only light when the switch is flipped (as opposed to when the fan comes on due to the rad switch/Emerald) - I find it very useful as I can't hear the fan kick in with the hearing protection I use while aeroscreening.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

That's exactly how It'll work Stephen, if you follow Chris's drawing. The only downside, is that the led will glow when you're at speed. This is the fan spinning like a windmill, and acting like a generator. Nothing to worry about.

Out of interest. Where are you placing your road angel? Looking at the car today, the only place where it seems to fit ok, is lower rh corner of windscreen. Only trouble is, because the bracket is plastic, and you can't bend it, it does point uphill a bit. If you have any better ideas, let me know.

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Edited by - ozzy on 6 Jan 2006 22:15:06

Hi – I think I owe Chris an apology. I was convinced that a relay was not needed but…

I thought I’d just go and measure mine – voltage drop etc etc. Chris is right – If you want to do the job properly you need a relay in this circuit. There was a significant drop through the switched circuit and the Fan did not run as fast. I guess when I’d tested it out I’d not been so critical (or sloppy…).

So now I’m going to fit a relay – somewhere down the front and have my switch energise the relay.

Hey ho – we live and learn – guess that’s the wonder of Blat chat – thanks Chris.

Nick

Nick in the (1987) 1700 X Flow...