Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing fared --> Wing Cycle

Cat_man

Hello,

I'm the happy proprietpoof a Yellow Stripe equipe with fared wing.

But i prefer CYCLE wing ! So, it is possible to change the wing on my Caterham ???

The problem it's not the holes in the coach-building ?

Thank you,

PS : Excuse for my english but i'm a littel French.

SEVEN is HEVEN

Cat_man

Seven is Heven

Cat_man,

Changing from flared wings to cycle wings isn't too difficult - there are other postings on this forum. In summary:

1. You need to buy:

New Wings smile.gif

Wing brackets

Headlamp & indicator brackets

(possibly a new steering rack - I did this job last winter

and found that I had the old steel bodied steering rack, the

new racks are aluminium)

2. Fitting is fairly easy, but from memory you must remove the flexible brake hose and feed it through the new wing bracket. If you do need to replace the steering rack, then you must remove the radiator.

3. You are, of course, left with a car that looks like it has been attacked by a machine gun! If the car is painted then a bodyshop should be able to sort the problem - I used small aluminium dome head bolts, which is ok but doesn't look great.

Good luck

Peter

Cat Man,

I'm just finished with this job. Upgraded my 1.6K from flared wings to cycles.

Not too difficult, depending on the the final quality you want to reach.

If you are interested, I can send you all the details in french (I'm french also, and use to live in the Paris area).

Robert.

PS: my friend Pierre Gillet will probably add some comments

Thanks Robert.

Cat-seven

I concur with everything that has been said above. You must count on spending about 2000 FF (sorry 305 euros)for parts from Caterham. Plus 30 euros of paint/varnish if you want to paint them and want to do it yourself (not easy though if you do not have the skill).You would spend more if you buy carbon fiber wings but you would not have to paint them.

Where are you located?

Cheers,

Pierre

Do yourself a favour and keep the proper 'flared' wings!!!

OK, ok, but I think they look best alright!!!

Saw a new red Cat. on the M2 yesterday evening reg. GF51ODX heading towards Dartford at about 8.00PM and it had flared wings. Rare on a new car. Somebody with good taste.............!

Hi Chris. I've got good taste then cause I specified flared wings last July and did so because thats how I remembered 7s should look. Reckon that they can't be compared with the copy thing(!)W something or other...Strange thing is many have asked why I specified them when apparently only 2% do so these days. Fantastic car and 8K miles since build.

I'm an owner of the flared wing variety and I'm happy with them (although I must admit if I get another newer car it would be cycle wings). Anyway, the point of my posting is to ask a question: I have two different copies of Lotus 7 adverts dating back to the early days. One has cycle wings and the other flared. Which is the true original?

C7 GAR

AFAIK.....The original wings fitted to the Lotus Seven were of the cycle variety.

The "flared or Clamshell" variety were introduced when the Seven was sent overseas to the states.

A model specialy created for the states called the "Seven America" went on sale at the Detroit Motor Show in 1960.

The wings were originaly designed in 1957 with the American market in mind and also with the aim to increase driver protection.

Designed by Chapman himself the wings were originaly made from aluminum by Williams and Pritchard. When "mass" production started the material was changer for fibreglass.

Time to take off the anorak as its getting rather warm in here smile.gif

A comprehensive history of the Seven can be found at the web address below

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

Mikehoile.

Yes, I know what you mean! The car I drive is in that (boring to some) BRG and yellow nosecone, flared wing "Prisoner" style 'cos that's how I think the car should be (watch the series you motorcycle mudguard guys).

Great thing about Sevens is that there are as many variations on what constitutes 'the right specification' as there are owners thumbsup.gif

Hi Chris/Gary. It's one of those beauty is in the eye of the beholder things. Like Gary in spite of my liking for the flared variety I would go for cycle wings if I am fortunate to do it all again, purely because they get in the way when reaching in the the engine thingy and also my flared wings are suffering from cracking due to stones being thrown up. Can't have it all ways I guess...