Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rusting Headlight Bowls

Bricol

Not too certain if this is really technical, but.

I have chrome lights on my Seven which has been on the road for all of 3 months but not very much in the past 2 (work, snow, etc etc), yet the chrome rims holding the light unit are rusted and have small pits thro' the chrome at the bottom so while the rust will polish off, it will re-appear.

Is this a common, to be expected thing, or do I have a crap set of lights?

Thanks in advance.

Bri

I too have this problem of surface rust pitting on the chrome headlight shells. It does as you say, polish off but will re-appear if not protected with a good polish.

Thing is, mine are dated from '93 so they've had a good innings. Yours sound as if they have micro holes in the chroming due to poor surface prep.

Good Luck!

I noticed my lights were beginning to rust,I found they were easier to clean and polish etc once removed. If you remove the lens you may find they are worse inside. I applied loadsa waxoyl both inside the bowl and around the base, bit messy but works wonders. I did mine nearly a year ago and they still look great.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by - Phil D on 1 Jan 2002 21:55:09

The only way to really fix this rust problem is to get the chrome component correctly plated, that would mean removing the crap psuedo chrome (bright nickel) and stripping back to bare steel, then get a triple plate process applied, ie, copper, nickel and finally chrome, I had mine done 20 years back and the chrome is still in tip top condition, I had a problem finding a plating shop that would do the 3 plate process so organised for the copper plating to be done at work, and then the nickel and chrome applied over this, try a look through Classic Cars, restoration services, and ask if they use triple plating process, if not , no go, it wont be cheap, but the best never is.

Regards Nigel.

As someone has already said the chrome probably isn't the best quality to start with. However a good coating of 'Waxoyl' on the inside of the the bowls and the inside of the rims certainly increases longevity...recommended

As someone has already said the chrome probably isn't the best quality to start with. However a good coating of 'Waxoyl' on the inside of the the bowls and the inside of the rims certainly increases longevity...recommended

You must be the most tolerant bunch of consumers on the planet! My headlight has just fallen down over the chrome mount (due to corrosion) and my reaction is defintely not "Ah well, I'll fix it like this..." - my reaction is "Bloody outrageous! How do they stay in business with such a flimsy, badly detailed product!".

I've said this before, and even though it does no good to reiterate here it makes me feel better to vent my head... This car is like one of those terrible shoddy seventies cars that rusted within the first year and had little or no manufacturer's guarantee. Credit to all those enthusiasts that take pleasure from repairing their cherished cars (and call it maintenance (maintenance is designed-for attention, like changing oil) rather than call it repair) - but if we all took the cars back to Caterham and challenged them to do something... well, then they might actually do something.

Caterham - Designed for racing, built for living. Yea, right.

My tin top averages about 4 years before I have to replace a headlight for some reason (usually stones) at a cost in excess of 100ukp! By contrast I have a little rust spotting on the non-function headlight bowls after 6 years and they cost less than 30ukp to replace from pattern parts people. So time for a quick sanity check - I prefer the latter!

Well - my headlights were rusty within a year, and one has fallen to bits within two years. The rear lights have already been replaced by Caterham because they filled with water so readily, and then blew bulbs.