Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Ignition for SLR

Andrew Dent

I currently run the ex Caterham demo car R114 GGX, and at the moment it is in for some TLC, but dont ask as this will up set me. As part of the TLC program, I am considering changing the ignition from the MEMS to something that can be played with. The engine spec is quite good: steel crank, steel rods, forged pistons. What experience do the boys and Anna have of after market ignition systems that can be used to replace the MEMS. Comments would be appriciated.

Thanks

Andrew Dent

C7 LOW

Emerald M3DK.

Emerald is owned and run by Dave Walker, the tech editor of CCC (Cars & Car Conversions). The M3DK is a plug compatible MEMS replacement, so there's no loom to re-create. Dave includes the software and cable to plug it into your PC in the price, which is about 500 quid.

Dave will also set it up properly for you on the Emerald rolling road in Brixton. This is very important.... make sure you know of someone who can set up whatever ECU you buy!

There's a very strong user-base amongst K users now, mostly amongst the se7ens.net email listers.

Want to know more? See Dave Andrews' web site and follow his links to the K series development page.

If it's not a stupid question, why on earth do you want to just change the engine management system unless you are planning further modifications? You would have to make fairly big differences before a re-calibration is in order.

It does seem a waste if you don't mind me saying.

Recent experiences have shown some of us that a change in ECU which is then properly mapped for that engine can unlock some potential. Look at it like this.... The MEMS ECU is set up for one VHPD engine (for example) and then the same map is used in all subsequent VHPDs. I find it hard to believe that all engines behave exactly the same way personally, and reckon an ECU mapped specifically for your engine is likely to work in complete sympathy with your engine.

Then there's the argument that the MEMS is bodge job. On the overrun mine pops and bangs all over the place. Modern fuel injection shouldn't do that, even if it does sound impressive. smile.gif I understand Caterham mapped the MEMS then richened up the mixture a bit because it is better to be rich than lean (lean damages engines).

And then there's the argument you made about engine upgrades.... It sure makes it easy to quantify whether your engine upgrade has worked if you have previously fitted a new ECU and had it mapped. You will have come away from the mapping session with a torque/power plot which can be compared to all subsequent torque/power plots.