Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 6 speed

Alex Wong1697456877

Alex, that raises an interesting point. Any track day driver has to ask themself whether they want to drive the car as if they are in competition, ie wringing the neck out of it, oblivious to wear and tear, so that a competitive advantage can be gained, or whether a track day is fun, and why trash the box, clutch engine and brakes just for the sake of going at 10/10s instead of 9/10s. Breaking a little earlier, slowing the gearchange by a microsecond and clean changes instead of using clutch slip, up and down the box. I guess that overall lap times would be less than a couuple of seconds adrift, even if timing was allowed, which it isn't at most track days. If the descision is to drive at 100% then why not actually race and get the satisfaction [or frustration] that that involves? Ha, sounds like another topic for the Friday arguement 😬

Graham, I probably won't be in a position to do a back to back test, unless the BGH 5 speeder proves to be the wrong choice or breaks, I just feel that the ratios of the 6 are all wrong for a torquey powerfull engine, with, primarily, road use in mind. I could be wrong, but several have already gone down this route very succesfully, Rob and Brent come to mind. *biggrin*

I read this thread with interest as I've no doubt I may be in the market soon, Brent I could well be another Customer!

I am currnetly running a Quaife 5 Speed semi Helicoil 5th with (French?) Quaife coated steel syncromesh rings fitted by R&R and with 18months of track use the rings haven't broken and the changes are very smooth, with the bronze ones Phil was changing them every few months!.

He suggested that the 6 speed wasn't really strong enough for my car with the previous spec engine but others here seem to have a different view, may be the way to go for me, I'd love to have a quieter box even for track

Mark

Alex, I seem to be having problems with sending mail at the moment but will keep trying so please be patient...........it will get to you eventually *smile*

Mark, I will no doubt see you at some point soon so will chat with you then. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Also watching this with interest.

I have no experience of BGH or Caterham 6 speed but I have run alloy maincase Quaife straight cut dog engagement boxes in my last two Vx Caterhams (220 & 250+bhp) with no breakages. Synchro gearboxes proved unreliable in both cars. L7FUN has been running the 6 speed dog box with seq. drum mechanism since March 2003. No problems apart from occasional false neutrals during downshifting from 4 to 3 last year were resolved by the replacement of a bent selector fork & drive disc in June.

The ratios of the 6 speed do seem to suit my engine fine and the box was very carefully chosen with reference to dyno sheet & gearing charts etc. A 5 speed with longer 1+2 and 3,4+5 equivalent to my current 4,5+6 might have been as good but it didn't feel so in my previous car (admittedly with very different engine spec).

If returning to H pattern I personally would choose dog engagement or wait to see how the Caterham 6 speed boxes fair in the 260CSR's this year before taking the plunge.

L7 FUN