Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch wear

Tony Martyr

In normal use with 5000 miles and 4 track days and 2 sprints a year how long does a well driven clutch plate last on a 1600SS?

In 4 years I have got through 3 clutch thrust bearings and as a consequence, because it is sensible to replace them while the engine is out, 2 new clutch plates. Part of my original problem was a dimensional problem with the bell-housing, which was changed, since that time all has been well.

Is there any means of measuring plate wear through the yoke hole?

I have a concern that, when the pedal is fully depressed, the yoke arm just about touches the forward edge of the hole in the bell housing and I have not a clue as to how long it has been like that.

The last thing I want to do is to have a slipping clutch on the way to Le Havre this summer but a nonessential engine removal after I’ve got the new loom all tidied up is too awful to think about.

How long does yours last?

If I do opt for a new one are there non-standard plates that give better life?

That sounds like an awful lot of clutches.

I would have expected a clutch on a Caterham to last 60,000 to 80,000 miles. I mean there is no weight to them, so what is to wear them out. I don't know as I don't have K series and have only done 15K in mine over the last 1.5 years. But that has also included 11 track days.

Tony

I am in the situation of having the engine out and in little pieces waiting rebuild. I am replacing the clutch and cover, and have seen in Demon Ts a cerametallic plate which is a lot more than the original organic plate. Am about to look into the life expectancy of said clutch. Will report back with findings.

Andrew

Tony,

While doing some upgrades on the car I replaced the standard clutch at 30K miles. Even with about 3.5K of those being track miles there was still about 1mm left on it.

Since the upgrades however I can feel the clutch "work" more ... the extra grip due to a LSD is tough on it as is the change from a 5 to a 6 speed. If you are able to wait a year I can tell you how it behaves after 10K miles smile.gif

Hi Stijn! didn't I see your name on the Le Sept list? In which case I will be able to check on how your clutch performs well before 10k miles. I think sticky tyres and the 6 speed box makes life a bit more difficult for the clutch but I think I'm going to leave things as they are.