Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice trackday

nickdodo

Hi,

I am interested in a track day but have a couple of questions.

First - how much does it cost?

second - are there any clubdays closer to the south voast than Oulton park & Caldwell Park - which are miles and miles away from me?

Nick in the (1987) 1700 X Flow...

• Support Team

The Club normally does Brands Hatch in September and have also in the past done Snetterton and Silverstone.

The cost varies from track to track and could be anywhere between £150 and £300 per driver. Brands, Cadwell and Silverstone will be nearer £300 whereas Snetterton, etc. will be cheaper.

There are some non-club days organised by various members that might be of interest e.g. this one here.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Nick - I'll be there as will a load of other Caterham racers as we race there the following day. Come and say hi - I'll be in the black car number 55. Combe was one of the first tracks I went to when I started and is a great circuit, you'll love it *thumbup*

Also have a look at the motorsport events website here - they've got several airfield venues along the M4 corridor which should be quite close to you, are great to learn the limits of your car as there's nothing to hit *eek* and are an absolute bargain price. They also do 'academy' days where you spend a day hooning, er, I mean learning 😬 in your car with their instructors. I think Mark (F355GTS) was hoping to have a couple of 7-only days again this year *thumbup*

Andrew

Almost any trackday operator is quite happy to test your car for free if you just turn up. They have to have test guys there during their days and most of the time they're standing around doing not much. Have a look on websites that operate days near you and pick one. Castle Combe circuit do their own days as well as host other operators and MotorSport Events is another good start point in our area as has already been mentioned.

I've not seen Castle Combe advertise the fact but they do have a drive-by monitor in operation. I passed the static test easily (96dB) because it was at 4,500rpm *smile* but apparently tripped some other fiendish device so got 'talked to' and invited to re-test. They were all very nice about it and I agreed to change up early to save them embarrassment along the start finish straight *wink*.

Mmm that drive-by is a new one on me, I suspect our megagrads at 150bhp may have some problems as they did at Donington on the 98bda drive-by.

Nick the best thing you can do is to ring Combe and ask if you can come up for a noise test before the day - then you'll have a good idea what you're likely to test at on the day. If the dates aren't convenient go to a MSE airfield event on a day which is convenient (Ed & Natasha are very helpful) or you can rent a noise meter from Jonny Leroux at Bookatrack for £9 (I think) inc P&P. Their website is www.bookatrack.com

FWIW Merlin Motorsport are on site at Combe and I believe they rent Supertrapp-type bolt-on silencers to cars that fail the noise test. Drop me a line if I can help in any way - coyote_x_11 at hotmail.com

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

although if you're going more than about 6 times ever it's cheaper and a lot safer to buy a cheap one that fits you properly. My 'passenger' helmet is one of the Motorsport Events £60 ones and it seems fine.

If you do want to hire you can normally request it on the booking form when booking the trackday. If it's not there, the chances are they don't hire helmets. For example I don't think the club hires them on club days (though of course I stand to be corrected by Geoff *smile*).

Lots of info in the archives about helmets, and the 'helmets vs heads' debate was had again in chitchat recently. Have a look *thumbup*

Andrew

Be careful about using "cheap" helmets - there are often minimum specs provided in the agreement you sign with the club or other trackday companies - Im sure Geoff can update you on what these are for Club Trackdays which should cover you for all other eventualities . . . .I'm sure you could ask someone (via Blatchat) to borrow one first if you just want to try a Novice Day first . . . .

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . . . . .

Edited by - paul.davis on 20 Jan 2006 13:44:29