Click here if you are having website access problems ×

racing exhaust & manifold

Marius

Are there any recommendations out on the market for buying a racing-exhaust & manifold for a XE powered 7 ? I still own the standard Caterham-side-exit-set but are somehow convinced, that a slightly larger diameter could open up doors for more top-end-power (who needs torque anyway). I once saw a very neat set by SBD but there the manifold passes through the bonnet. I also saw some weeks ago a very nice system at the Ring fitted on K7 ARC, a one-off manifold done by some F1-engineers. Now that was fine but not available. What do you think of it ? Larger diameter yes or no ? Any suggestions for a nice system, stainless or carbon ? Oh yes, noise would not be a problem, no one is interested about it here in Germany (as long as the windows do not crack..)

Marius, I have a system from SBD which exits thruogh the body in the same place as your current system, and although the hole would need to be enlarged, it,s not major surgery. This was the first thing I changed When searching for some exra power, and the difference was significant, I would guess around 15 HP over the standard (not side exit)system. The silencer is carbon and the sound is fantastic. The only comment I would make is that it's immpossible to keep it looking good without dismantling the entire system for polishing once a month, which is a definite no no for me, being a serial tinkerer. This summer I'm going to try having the system ceramic colour coated to match the car. Would you like me to e-mail a picture?

MIKE

Thanks Mike, that would be fantastic. If your system will fit or not depends on some details. As I own a LHD 7, there´s the steering column at the exhaust-side, so it might become difficult to fit this system. But next winter is time again to fiddle the manifold around the column or the column around the manifold. The silencer is also available in stainless-steel, isnt´t it ?

Schneiderwind@t-online.de

Marius, my car is also LHD and the system is designed to fit around steering colum etc. I don't know if the silencer comes in stainles but of course anything should be possible. It would of course be a lot noisier, and worst of all heavier, in stainless, plus the problem of maitaining the appearance, and the carbon sounds a lot better than steel. I will send you the pictures later.

MIKE

Mike,

thank you very much for the photos. The car looks terrific! The exhaust system has a racing look that I like and I guess that the power and sound are there.The only problem that I have is that the wife uses the car as her everyday car and I would obviously would need to have two exhaust systems...

OK, I have to sort this out first.

Cheers,

Pierre