Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham dry sump fitting - first questions

Mathew Rimmer

No doubt first of many dumb questions from me on this, the instructions seem a little vague.....

Have the "new" installation with seperate Pace tank rather than bellhousing tank. Am planning on removing the Apollo tank judging it relatively superfluous. Where does the oil temp sender go afterwards ?

The pace tank has been fitted with 2 plastic hose connections on the top of tank, are these really up to the job or do these need replacing with proper fittings.

For those that have mounted their laminovas on the bulkhead, how did you attach them

Lastly, what is the breather arrangement ? What breathes into the catch tank and from where ? Is it one of the aforementioned top of tank connectors ?

As always, all help gratefully appreciated, its a bit remote for just popping round to see someones installation so Blatchat is invaluable !

right, back to the garage for a bit more headscratching !!

I. Apollo is not required the Pace tank is well designed to de -aeriate the oil. Unless you spec`d the tank with a boss for the temp sender your struggling.

2. Yes the blue plastic fittings are up to the job they have a taper thread and do not usually leak.

3. I would not fit a laminova in the scavenge line as this reduces flow and can compromise the engine scavenging which is already marginal at high rpm. especially if you have the purple pump.

4. I run with no breathers and the engine sealed/partial vacuum, this aids scavenge less windage and produces more power. I vent the Tank to a catch tank via the top center blue male outlet and blank off the other.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 30 Dec 2005 17:11:05

Where does the oil temp sender go afterwards

you should have a tapping in the new tank for a temp sender ? .

2 plastic hose connections on the top of tank, are these really up to the job

ys - they should be fine - theses are only breathers .

For those that have mounted their laminovas on the bulkhead, how did you attach them

Dunno sorry - but pipe clip fixings in B&Q may be the thing to use ? As Roib mentions above - put the laminova in the return feed to the tank not the scavenge .

What breathes into the catch tank and from where ? Is it one of the aforementioned top of tank connectors ?

yes the top of the tank should have 2 breathers .Do you have a picture of the tank for us to see? - sorry I didnt read that these were on the top of the tank.

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 30 Dec 2005 13:50:13

Thanks all, that helps a lot and confirms a few things. In the land of engineering I should be able to find someone to put a temp sensor into the tank, albeit for approx 1m chf !!

Nick - I will be selling the apollo but may have a buyer already, if not I will let you know, although you would have to wait for the next visitor from the UK to take it back with them.

Am gutted as I found what look suspiciously like metal swarf in the laminova (very soft/crumbly though). Was afterwards briefly happy when draining the apollo as the magnetic drain plug was completely clean but since then have convinced ,myself that the laminova mesh was acting as a filter and none of the potential debris was reaching the apollo tank. Will strip the laminova completely tomorrow to see whats in there.

2 engine rebuilds in 2 years and not much mileage in between, was hoping 2006 would be different....!

David Nelson - a few specific questions if I may;

1) Did your kit come with a bracket to hold the tank or just the large jubilee clip ?

2) Is the coolant sub required ? it looks to be the same shape as the one on the car, although I've not pulled the hoses apart yet. Presume it might be slightly different for clearance of the scavenge pump when combined with the replacement s shaped coolant pipe (which also looks identical to the one on the car)

3) Did you get any breather pipe included in your kit ?

4) What bit was missing that your waiting for (no parts list with mine so am relying on guesswork and this is by far the most "advanced" job I've undertaken so far !! )

5) How well does the metal tube that attaches to the sump fit on yours (crap description sorry !)

1) Did your kit come with a bracket to hold the tank or just the large jubilee clip ?

It came with the large jubilee clip and some small brass like rectangles. I presume that these worh in the same way as the apollo fixing?

2) Is the coolant sub required ? it looks to be the same shape as the one on the car, although I've not pulled the hoses apart yet. Presume it might be slightly different for clearance of the scavenge pump when combined with the replacement s shaped coolant pipe (which also looks identical to the one on the car)

CC said it depended on the year of my 7. mine is the same so do not need to replace it. You will need to replace the S pipe as it keeps the hose off the pump.

3) Did you get any breather pipe included in your kit ?

No

4) What bit was missing that your waiting for (no parts list with mine so am relying on guesswork and this is by far the most "advanced" job I've undertaken so far !! )

I have been reading the list and was missing the gauze that should be with the brass coloured pipe that come of the sump pan. A few bolts these have already been sent.

5) How well does the metal tube that attaches to the sump fit on yours (crap description sorry !)

Not there yet so do not know.

David

ps still need to work out the route for the pipe work

• Leadership Team
Is the coolant sub required ? it looks to be the same shape as the one on the car, although I've not pulled the hoses apart yet. Presume it might be slightly different for clearance of the scavenge pump when combined with the replacement s shaped coolant pipe (which also looks identical to the one on the car)

CC said it depended on the year of my 7. mine is the same so do not need to replace it. You will need to replace the S pipe as it keeps the hose off the pump

Early cars had a round section coolant sub, later cars had one with a flat bottom (description *confused*)

Dave, if you're not needing the new coolant sub, do you want to sell it?

Stu.