Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Di-Dion Tube, something to check

Graham Perry

I have just started my annual winter re-build, and this year am concentrating on the back end as the car has had several years of motorsport and hasn't had a thorough check for a while. Having removed the Di-dion, I discover that it has two small areas of wear on its upper surface, the metal being about half worn through in each case. It would appear that the handbrake cables have been rubbing on the tube and have caused the damage. The cables themselves are perfect. It might be worth having a look at this if anyone has a higher mileage car as the tube was undoubtedly weakened by this. I was removing it to get it crack tested anyway so will now need to repair the damage as well. I will also re-route the cables as the restraining 'bobbins' that Caterham provided to do this job are obviously not working

My de-dion tube was affected in exactly the same way by the tank restraining straps. Just on full deflection (lots of low flying) and had worn in the same manner.

My tube broke nearly in two (80% of the circumference) at one of those points whilst blatting near Shere. Admittedly I was booting it, uphill, on a corner, but the result was a crabwise car that would only drive straight on nearly full lock !

Roger, who'd just upgraded the engine said he was very pleased his upgrade had broken the car (tongue in cheek).

I suggest either a new tube (I had an old tube and replaced it with the newer much beefier version) or repair REALLY carefully.

I was only travelling relatively slowly, I would not have like to have done the above at say Cadwell....

Cheers, Simon.

Have a safe new year everyone.