Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald for EU3 engines

adrain

Does anyone know if the latest Emerald ECU is 'plug & play' for EU3 engines 🤔

Earlier threads refer to making up an interface loom yourself *confused*

Also, do/can the latest Emeralds use the Lambda sensor and the cam phase sensors 🤔

Just preparing for the next atttack of upgradeitis 😬

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

You've probably already seen links to my site with details of how to make a converter.

The Emerald *does* 'use' a lambda-sensor - in so far as it is wired for one and will show the output in the logging software etc. - but for all intents and purposes, it is just there for reference - the maps do not take any notice of it (unless in closed-loop mode, but Dave Walker recommended ignoring that).

The 'new' firmware release (been waiting all year, so don't hold your breath) can/will use the lambda much more - but you will need a wideband lambda sensor. The standard 'narrowband' won't be any use to the Emerald.

The cam-phase sensor isn't used even though the emerald can support it - the Emerald can support sequential-injection (which needs a cam-phase sensor) under some circumstances, but the current view appears to be that the increase in effort required to map sequential-injection isn't worth the gain.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Area Representative

Mav,

Why the *confused* about club speed event classes?

The idea of restricting the use of programmable ECU's is to prevent someone trying to build a silly spec engine. If someone were to build a very high spec engine with big valves and wilder than SS cams, then they certainly wouldn't reap the benefit without a properly mapped programmable ECU.

If you only intend running a standard SS engine, then there is little to be gained from fitting the Emerald ECU, and certainly not good value for money.

adrain,

look here for the details of an EU3 to EU2 converter. I understand that supply of the EU3 ECU mounted sockets are not good. You may need to obtain a dead EU3 ECU and cut the sockets off!

What are your reasons for using an Emerald?

Are you likley to want to revert back to the original ECU at any time? If not, then cutting the loom and fitting the EU2 plug to an EU3 loom may be the easiest option.

Why are you concerned about the cam sensor and the Lamda probe?

Have you spoken to Emerald or DVA? They'll help you with most of what you need to know.

Edited by - Richard Price on 29 Dec 2005 15:56:01

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Firstly, having done a few Class 3 sprinsts this year, I am not planning to trouble the timekeepers again this year My interest (as an engineer) in an Emerald is more to play with it and see what is happening rather than max power . I had thought I might want to go back to the original MEMS at some time so I am not keen to butcher the loom/plug etc. I expect this puts others off too.

I was planning to speak to Oily in the New Year.

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

I have a spare EU3 ECU for sale!! 😬 😬 😬 😳 😳 😳 Sorry, I know I should not hi jack like this 😳 😳 😳

I can atest to the quality of Myles instructions for building the converter as I made one.

Mine works superbly well and the engine has not missed a beat!

By building a converter you can simply plug your old ECU back into the system should you wish to.

Grant - OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

• 3 years later...

I have a few EU3 connectors, brand new, never been fitted to anything - source (i worked for Motorola when they made the ECUs before they sold the automotive group to Continental. I made my own converter using one, see link in my signature for details.

Let me know if you want one of these rare, never been soldered to, items.

Steve

Now with DVA Power! 191bhp and 150.9 lbft torque.

My Pictures

• 5 months later...

Making your own convertor allows you to make the wires long enough to get the ECU somewhere sensible - like under the scuttle between the wiper motor and fuse box. Out of the rain, car wash soap, excessive heat (watch your exhaust manifold when at decent revs on a rolling road . . ) and easily accessible for connecting up and playing.

Bri

Easy enough to de-solder one from an old ECU....well easy enough if your wife's an expert in PCB's..... 😬 😬

Got a spare one with leads already numbered and soldered to that just needs EU2 Plug and box to finish. *wavey*

My Winter '08 Upgrade was to a screaming DVA K05.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Just revisiting this as I have just acquired an Emerald which I have to plumb my EU3 loom into.

Does anyone have a suitable connector made up to go EU3 to Emerald that they no longer need or want to sell?

Alternatively, Steve T - do you still have any of the EU3 connectors available?

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

In case anyone else is interested, I have just had an adaptor made up for connecting the EU3 loom to the EU2 Emerald. I did manage to get a new female EU3 'socket' and sent it with an EU2 connector that I had to these people:

Simtek UK Ltd

Unit 1 Daniel Street Ind Est

Whitworth

Rochdale

Lancs

OL12 8BX

UK

Tel +44(0)1706 854857

http://www.wiringwinners.com/frames.asp

They advertise in the MSA magazine as providers of race electronic services.

They were really good to deal with and made a good professional job of it.

Although I know others have made this up themselves, it was not something I would want to attempt - which others who know me would say is just as well 😳

If anyone wants a picture blatmail me.

They seemed to think that they would be able to source the 'female' EU3 connector in the future so should be able to make up similar adaptors if required.

Mike

Now with a modest 190bhp (for any Class 4 Sprinters reading this 😬 😬)