Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Question for a painter

Pierre Gillet

A question for experienced painters.

Having sprayed the wings of my Seven myself (ruby pearlescent 40th Anniversary, paint + varnish with hardener) I am fairly satisfied with the result. I noticed however in few spots very small defects on the varnish. Would it be right to "flatten" the varnish with 1200 waterproof, and then get the shine back by polishing using a grinder with a soft disc and polishing paste?

Your input would be very much welcome.

Pierre

Pierre, What do you call "small defects". If it is just a little piece of dust than you can sand & polish but be very carefull because if you sand trough the varnish you have to revarnish. I hope that you have put two layers of varnish on to your wings if so you can sand & polish otherwise sand & revanish your wings.

Many thanks Elie. I was looking forward to getting your advice.Yes I did apply 2 layers of varnish, if not 3, as I thought if would bring extra protection against stone chips.And yes, the small defects I have noticed seem to be due to little piece of dust that can be flattened.

All right, but it takes some courage to sand a newly painted shining wing!

Pierre, Have patiece when you start to sand. They sell special patches to sand down the dust in the varnish, but you can make them yourself. Cut a 20mm roundel from your sanding paper and glue it to a piece that you have cut from the mss broom, doing this you have far more control where you start to sand down the dust patch on your wing.

Rob, Mike Hoile gave me on this Forum the code: PTPRLA GM Brilliant red Mica 75 that he bought in UK. I found in France : OPEL 575 Bologna red Mica metallisé. Since OPEL is owned by General Motors, I decided that it should be the same colour. And it is! There is of course a very small difference , but given that I painted the 4 wings, it is hardly noticeable.

Elie, excuse my poor English, but I do not understand well your tip. I did the sanding manually, using 1200 waterproof sanding paper and a very wet sponge to clean up the sanding paper and the varnish. It worked OK. I had more problem with the polishing: I used an angle grinder fitted with a rubber disc on which a kind of wollen disc is fixed.It seems that I used the grinder with a too sharp angle on the right cycle wing and slightly damaged the varnish (not the paint) in two spots.The damages were repaired manually using polishing paste! I figure that I should buy a real polishing machine...

Cheers,

Pierre