Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can an experienced sprinter with 5 minutes to spare.......................

Martin S.

.................give me a quick run down on what the following circuits are like, ie. fast/slow/fun/boring 😳 etc etc.....

to help me decide which ones to drop 😳 from the championship next year:

Longcross

Shelsley Walsh

Pembrey

Loton Park

Wiscombe

Harewood

BRG De-dion, 2Ltr Dunnel Zetec 165 (widetrack front in the pipeline)

all IMO

none are boring, the sprint circuits tend to be faster than the hills...

Longcross *arrowright* is long and fast (banked sections)but with an excellent/challenging section called the snake, a must do for me as only 10 miles away. Potentially unforgiving in places (trees etc), and I know some have questioned the marshalling of this event, not great for spectators

Shelsley Walsh *arrowright*never been, but a must do becuase it is the first time there and has a very long history/tradition

Pembrey *arrowright* never been, potentillay one I may drop..

Loton Park *arrowright*top hill climb venue, a must do IMO, I found it quite challenging (only been once) and not that easy to learn, but that is a good pat of the challenge

Wiscombe *arrowright* always rains...but a great hill not for the faint hearted, miles away from anywhere

Harewood *arrowright* top hill, great for drivers an spectators, always very efficently run, a must fo for me as parents live only 5 miles away

for me if I had to rank them in priority order of doing for next year

1. shelsey

2. longcross

3. harewood

4. loton

5. wiscombe

6. pembrey

rob

My MSN Space and Blog - Syndicate Using RSS

this looks like fun *tongue*

Longcross

smooth flowing natural course with massive gradient changes only interupted by a few chicanes made from cones and railings !. The course is incredibly fast - I hit the revlimiter in 6th 3 times during one lap !. The course also has "the snake" one of the best sections of road you would ever wish to drive. The organisers are quick and slick.

Course 8/10

Overall 8/10

Shelsley Walsh

One of the countries classic hills . One to scratch off the list of 100 things to drive before you die. The course is incredibly narrow and quick - you reach 90mph on the approach to the S. The atmosphere and experience is one to savour .

Organisers are slick and have been lining cars up on the start since 1905 so they know what they are doing !.

Course 9/10

Overall 9/10

Pembrey

Full time establiched motor circuit located just west of Llanelli . The course is very fast and flowing . Saturday is clockwise , Sunday is anticlockwise for one whole lap (1.7 miles) . The circuit is used extensivly for testing by professional teams as its said the circuit has a great variety of corners to challenge the car. Saturday night in the clubhouse should be a hoot or go to Llanelli to see the "ladies" down 24 bottles of alcopop and spill their chips whilst getting spit roasted round the back of the burger van !

Course 6/10 , but its a double header with reverse circuit so overall weekend 8/10

Loton Park

Another classic hill located in beautifull parklands. This hill is split into 2 sections , the base which is flat with little gradient change, tight, narrow technical and twisty then feeds onto the hill which is just amazing as you drive the kink half way up then crest the top to see all the spectators at 100mph + before the left hand / right hand corners over the finish line (or into the tyres) .

I rate this as my favourite hill in the country. The night before the event we have a BBQ in the paddock .

Course 9/10

Overall 9/10

Wiscombe

I realy dont like this venue . Aside from the fact that its rained there for the past 5 times I've been there. Iocated in parklands again but camping is at the top of the hill with the paddock on a 1:3 gradient on grass . The hill is short, with a flat first section leading into the S through the woods, then 1st gear hairpin, 2nd , 3rd , brake, hairpin , finish line. Good banter at the top of the hill with the other drivers . Competition to see who can make the rudest hand gesture as he crosses the line sideways. Still a good one to experience.

Course 6/10

Overall 7/10 (5/10 if its wet again)

Harewood

Never been there *tongue* too far north for me .....

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

The stand out, definitely do ones on there are Shelsley and Loton. They're the two on my definite list. And from what I've read from last years compeititors, Longcross sounds terrifying/very exciting 😬 Pity it's too far away from me.

And from what Dave's said about Llanelli Pembrey sounds like a must *wink*

PS LOL you asked for an experienced sprinter - just so you know - I'm not, just an experienced spectator at Loton and Shelsley!

Edited by - Chris__ on 28 Dec 2005 13:10:12

Agree with most of Daves and Robs comments.

Harewood *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Pembrey may as i have been told be lap and a half Saturday and 3/4 lap on Sun. However there are more than acouple of corners that will challenge anyone if taken flat 😳 Yes they can. Especially the kink at the back of the circuit. This should be flat in 6th in both directions.

Last year i took the kink flat in 5th in the reverse direction in the pi**ing rain. It was wild. Bar will be open in the evening. Westies also in attendance.

Giving it some more Welly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Click here to go to Harewood videos (Elise and Pilbeams?) 😬

Ooh.. just read only have to register and pay up 7 days before first event you intent taking part in. So Curborough2, Cadwell and Harewood a possiblity for me (I'd better get saving!!) 😬

Edited by - David Lynch on 25 Jan 2006 13:06:16

I would suggest not waiting till the last 7 days possible

becuase for some events we are required to produce a card saying you are a bona fide championship competitor at the event, and I am not sure of that all the logistics could get you the card in 7 days!!!