Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing attachment

Nick Lyford

Having just junked my HPC wheels for the SLR rims and Avon ACB10's and fitted the new cycle wing stays I am really uncertain about just using the "Polyflex - HM" adhesive sealant without the old type of screws in addition. What experience do you guys have with this type of system? Is it adviseable to use the screws in addition or is the adhesive sealant really that good at 230 kph?

Because its Crimble time all the usual sources of tech info are on thier hols so can anyone help and give any useful tips such as preparation etc.

Thanks. Nick. (Its 75 degrees here in Dubai and if I don't get this car back on the road soon I'll just have to have another beer in the pool!)

Disagree with previous two comments you will find provided you scrape the wing stays to key the surface that the adhesive will grip like **** to a blanket smile.gif in fact the wing will disintegratesad.gif before the joint fails. The whole point in using adhesive is to get rid of the unsightly bolts.

jj

Silicon bonded wings do hold very well without bolts - the only thing I've found that will unstick them is the particularly vicious kerb at the Esses at Pembrey. Probably not too much of a problem in Dubai...

Top tips:

Make sure the wingstay and wing are clean

Put the wing on the stay and "fillet" the gap around the wingstay with silicon, then leave it to set (24 hours?) - hold in place with tape

Add more silicon once dry to build up the thickness

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 30 Dec 2001 17:58:06

I would steer(pardon the pun)clear of silicone adhesives as they are no good in peel or shear which are precisely the sort of loads you will subject the wing to at speed. Go for a good polyurethane or silkathane applied as per manufacturers instructions. I reckon you could pick the front of my car up by the bond, its that good. Backup bolts are for wimps!

Simon,

I wish to see you pick up your car by the wings.

I have just used the WURTH black Adhesive to fix mine and although strong they are not strong enough to stay on at 150mph so I'm going with bolts.

Does anyone know of any balck anodised button head hex bolts (M5) on the market - the only manufacturer I know of is Poggopolini and they have zero right now....

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Yes it has been tested but not with silicone, it's not an adhesive it's a gap filler. I used Sikaflex Marine adhesive and yes you can lift the car by the wings [if you are mad enough]

Other comments about cleaning are very important otherwise it just don't work Always knew Arnie was a dirty boy!!!smile.gif

jj