Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

winscreen changing numpty question...

Gee Whizz

ok having a had a stone chip on the passenger side for over a year (including passing an MOT) it decided to crack a lot further whilst i had the roof up...- something that has been mentioned before.

seeing from other posts on tech talk its a fairly simple job of calling up MSM and getting a new winscreen on the insurance - supposedly even saving the excess if I fit it myself.

now examining the car today - do I need to remove the whole stanchions to get the winscreen out or does it come out without removing the stanchions off the scuttle?

in addition one of the stanchion bolts seems to be a little loose as well - do I have to take the inside Knee protection out to get to the back of the bolt? - its it just a case of removing the many philips screws along the panel?

I hear I may have to cut the heating wiring to get it through the scuttle holes?

any advice appreciated!

Gavin Gee

Don't know if the screen will come off without the stanchions but it's pretty easy to take the whole lot off. You will need to remove the knee protectors which if they are screwed on will be easy. Then, ideally with a helper to hand, disconnect the heater wire which will have connectors under the scuttle (one at each side)undo the four stanchion mounting bolts/nuts and lift the whole lot off.

Steve.

Make sure you check with your insurance regarding doing it yourself, I'm in dispute with Footman James at the moment. The claims manager told me verbally to go ahead and buy one from Caterham, then send them the cheque for a reimbursement. When I received the payment, it was minus £100, not the £50 I was expecting.

When I enquired why, he told me that the company I was with only charge the £50 excess if their recommended company do the work.

I'm about to send a letter of complaint.

As a matter of interest, can anyone explain why so many Caterham screens get cracked? I expect it's due to them being flat and the car being driven at high speed. You'd think Caterham would have come up with a solution by now, NOT!

Cheers J&J

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Edited by - johnjulie on 27 Dec 2005 10:00:00

JohnJulie.

Ah good old Footman James. Had the same problem as you. Got clearance to fit a replacement screen which I went to the factory and bought and did job myself. They then effectively charged me that 50 quid to do it!!

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I waited 'till the European Kit Car show at Detling, Kent as I knew they'd be there as normal. Waited 'till a fair crowd were around the stand then said how bad their service was considering I'd fitted the 'screen myself etc etc. Manager was apologetic and devastated that 'his' crowd had evaporated and said he'd see what he could do. It still took a few reminders on the phone and a two month gap, but I did get a cheque for the outstanding 50 ukp. A week later another arrived for a further 50 ukp. Decided not to cash that one and sure enough they rang back about a week after that to ask for it back!!! Organised? Uuummmmnnn.

Had been with them for six years. They asked for 203ukp at renewal this November, but I had the Seven tucked away off road so let it lapse. Less than a month later I asked for another renewal type quote. "Oh, no Sir" they say. It is now a new policy required. They now wanted 236ukp. No way! Went to Flux who gave me a quote for 184ukp. Guess who got the business?

As a matter of interest, can anyone explain why so many Caterham screens get cracked? I expect it's due to them being flat and the car being driven at high speed. You'd think Caterham would have come up with a solution by now, NOT!

They have, it's called an aeroscreen 😬

As others have suggested, you might find it easier to simply cut off the bullet connectors rather than try to pull them through the holes in the scuttle as they are often too big to pass through. You will then need to crimp or preferably solder some new connectors to the wires attached to either end of the new screen.

Another tip is to lay a thick blanket or similar across the bonnet in front of the screen to avoid any scratch damage as you lay the screen flat to pull out the wires. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Gavin

I found the best way of getting the heater wires out was to take the plastic covers off them while under the dash and then taking the wire out WITH the rubber grommet. To put the screen back in move the grommet to the new screen, thread the spade terminal through and then reinsert the grommet.

You will probably find this easier with the stanchions loosened (or taken off).

Steve

I've changed the screen on two 7's now and even with the grommets removed the connectors were physically too big to go through the holes. *confused* Since the new screen is supplied with fly leads and you need to fit new connectors anyway(bullet or spade) I found it easier to just snip off the connectors on the old screen.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

That's taking weight saving measures to the extreme Tony. 😬

The grommets are there to prevent possible chafing and, therefore, shorting out of the wires where they pass through the sheet metal scuttle. I would certainly keep them in for that reason, however unlikely it may be that they will chafe and wear through the insulation.

Brent

R 417.39 😬